Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I couldn't taste anything for the first 7 years of my life so texture is a huge part even now. Anything with skins either has given me trouble or still does. I've gotten the hang of bratwurst but I doubt I will ever mange grapes which is very sad. I can't do tomatoes because of the textures. Apples are weird for me, they taste heavily dry and juicy all at once. I can manage onions in crunchy things when the onions are in tiny pieces otherwise I have to pick them out. Oddly, onion rings are an exception. Of all the types of onions, they are completely at the far end of the line as far as what I can tolerate and I should hate them but if they are in front of me, I'll definitely eat them.
    "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

Quoth Ben_Who View Post
      I'm telling you, I'm seriously ready for the avocado fad to be done with.
      Hate to break it to you, but some places, it isn't a "fad", it's just part of our cuisine.

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
      No accounting for taste, but I still go every time someone says they don't like fresh tomatoes.
      Me, too! I even love the way tomato plants smell. I usually get one or two indeterminate cherry and yellow pear plants. Out in front of my picture window is the perfect spot and we have a nice, long growing season. And then there's the heirloom tomatoes...
      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
        Me, too! I even love the way tomato plants smell. I usually get one or two indeterminate cherry and yellow pear plants. Out in front of my picture window is the perfect spot and we have a nice, long growing season. And then there's the heirloom tomatoes...
        I have an excellent reason for hating tomatoes in all their forms, but especially fresh. I get massive heartburn if I eat fresh tomatoes, and mild heartburn for processed, cooked tomatoes. As such I avoid them wherever possible (unless I get a real craving for pizza, in which case I order mine with minimal sauce).
        "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
          (unless I get a real craving for pizza, in which case I order mine with minimal sauce).
          You could always go for a non-tomato sauce for your pizza. I'm rather partial to barbecue, my four-year-old prefers white sauce (so ranch or alfredo, usually), and there are other options too.
          "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
          - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

I saw one guy on Man vs. Food who uses yams for his sauce base because, and I quote, "I couldn't get my kids to eat their damn vegetables."
            Last edited by Tama; 03-15-2016, 07:27 PM.
            My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Hey, you do what you have to. I've heard of people doing things like adding spinach to brownies to get their kids to eat veggies, and this is why I regularly doctor mac-n-cheese with bell peppers and, yes, spinach. My husband just recently picked up a cookbook specifically for hiding healthy things in not-so-healthy things.
              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                You could always go for a non-tomato sauce for your pizza. I'm rather partial to barbecue, my four-year-old prefers white sauce (so ranch or alfredo, usually), and there are other options too.
                Thanks for the suggestions, but BBQ is revolting and while I love the idea of white sauce (I love most of the permutations except blue cheese), it doesn't seem to be a thing in my part of the UK.
                "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                  Hey, you do what you have to. I've heard of people doing things like adding spinach to brownies to get their kids to eat veggies, and this is why I regularly doctor mac-n-cheese with bell peppers and, yes, spinach. My husband just recently picked up a cookbook specifically for hiding healthy things in not-so-healthy things.
                  I think I've read that. Sneaky Chef or something like that.
                  "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

I cannot, WILL not, eat tinned asparagus. It looks like corpse fingers, and has a gross mushy texture that makes me throw up in my mouth.
                    Fresh asparagus? Hells yeah, roasted with lemon and pepper!

When I was little, I went to visit to my gran, and we went for dinner at one of her neighbour's houses. She made a tart with tinned asparagus. I muscled it down, and being the polite little girl I was (Thanks Mom!), when she asked me how it was, I smiled weakly and said "It was good!". Which resulted in little rads getting given seconds, and having to muscle that down as well without projectile vomiting. Coz puking all over someone's table is incredibly rude.

My dad refuses beetroot. So I've volunteered to eat his share of beets forever
                    The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                      I get massive heartburn if I eat fresh tomatoes, and mild heartburn for processed, cooked tomatoes.
                      It's the acid in them. When my chronic gastritis acts up I have to avoid cooked tomatoes or I'll end up doubled over in pain.
                      No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

I seem to be the opposite of most. Fresh tomatoes are ok, cherry tomatoes are delicious, but I dislike cooked tomatoes and I'm not a big fan of tomato based sauces. I don't use Ketchup on most things (other than maybe a burger), I prefer just a little spread of sauce on pizza, and I use spaghetti sauce sparingly.

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
                          I cannot, WILL not, eat tinned asparagus. It looks like corpse fingers, and has a gross mushy texture that makes me throw up in my mouth.
                          Fresh asparagus? Hells yeah, roasted with lemon and pepper!
                          Agreed. Whoever thought that putting asparagus or spinach or peas into sealed metal cans was a good idea should be dug up and shot repeatedly. Yuck.

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
                            I think I've read that. Sneaky Chef or something like that.
                            Deceptively Delicious is the title of the one he picked up. I wouldn't be surprised to find out there's more than one of these types of cookbooks out there.

Quoth laborcat View Post
                            Agreed. Whoever thought that putting asparagus or spinach or peas into sealed metal cans was a good idea should be dug up and shot repeatedly. Yuck.
                            Agreed. The only canned veggies we buy are green beans and corn, because they actually survive the canning process fairly well. Everything else is fresh or frozen.

Comment

Quoth BeeMused View Post
                              It's the acid in them. When my chronic gastritis acts up I have to avoid cooked tomatoes or I'll end up doubled over in pain.
                              have you tried yellow tomatoes? they are supposed to have lower acid.

Comment

Bbq sauce is my favorite condiment, though I've had weird ones. it has to have the right spices and not be spicy. I put it on all my meats. Not on pizza though, it doesn't taste right there.
                                And I don't like canned fruits or veggies. Or anything canned...yucky metallic taste. Fresh is always ten times better imho...
                                Last edited by HotelMinion; 03-21-2016, 12:43 AM.
                                Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                                The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

Working...
                                X