This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things at Work I Won't Miss

OK, I won't get away from them completely; I'm not quitting entirely. I'll still work my retail job in addition to my new one, just on weekends, so it'll be limited. Here's the list:

--screaming kids
    --front exit clogged by a bazillion carts (Why can't you people park them 4 feet over??!)
    --bathroom filled with poopy diaper smell
    --being screamed at in person (I'm sure I'll get it over the phone, but nbd.)
    --People asking me how I am and arguing with the answer. When they call me in new job they will have a pressing problem and not care how I am, which is how I like it!
    --The actual physical pain that cashiering causes me. (Again, I know it will be bad weekends, but that's what opiates are for!)
    --Having to always work weekends.
    --Carts blocking the hallway and thus the fire exit.
    --Having to stock every workstation I'm ever in because others don't.
    --Working holidays, especially Black Thursday.
    --Riding the bus (because I will be making enough to buy a cheap car by the end of the year).
    --Being too poor for groceries. Even if any of my creditors garnishes my pay, I will still be ok. I'll be making 30% more an hour and working 30% more hours a week. So my take-home pay will be about 50% more and that's not including the weekend pay. That's just extra money to throw at bills!
    --Stuff all over the floor.
    --Having to wear a uniform. I'm going to have so much fun building a new work wardrobe. I already have all the shoes!
    --Having to sell credit apps.
    --Bus people. OK, I know lots of fine folks ride the bus. I do. But I'm talking about the jobless ones who come to our store by bus practically every day and just sit for hours. And they stare at me on the bus. And they tend to take up too much of our time. We have a lot of stuff to do. It's mean, but we need people to buy stuff and leave, not loiter.

I'm going to miss the convenience of working in a store where I can just buy what I need while I'm there. I'll miss some coworkers. But that's about it.

I forgot: handling cash. It's icky.
    Last edited by EricKei; 08-11-2016, 11:06 AM. Reason: By our powers combined...Go, PostMerge!
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Quoth Food Lady View Post
    People asking me how I am and arguing with the answer.
    All I can picture is something like:
    SC: How are you?
    Food Lady: Not so good.
    SC: [hand wave] You feel fine.
    Food Lady: I feel fine.

Quoth Food Lady View Post
    I forgot: handling cash. It's icky.
    What, you don't want to handle poop-and-cocaine-infested paper?
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
      Thank only works on the weak-minded, Deserted
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post

What, you don't want to handle poop-and-cocaine-infested paper?
        It's more like I answer "alright" or "ok" and I get "Just okaaayyy??!!?!??!?" which I ignore and that ticks them off and they keep repeating it.

Comment

If people scream at you on the phone, you can make faces at them and no one will care.

Comment

YES! As long as they can't see my face I'm good.

Comment

Flipping off the phone (do a cursory check for Boss Presence first) or stabbing motions work well too. I think Hubby had a novelty "kill" button (not attached to anything) he used for stress relief.
              "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Yay for money for wheels of your very own Coming Soon! The independence is bliss, even if the associated bills aren't!

Comment

Well, I do have to pay the credit bills for the work-appropriate tops I just bought. And I'll need sweaters later. But I get good deals.
                  Here's another thing I won't miss: those inexplicable holes in every single work shirt. It can't even be fully explained by the fact that I lean against a counter; the salesfloor people experience it, too. It's so annoying when it happens to a shirt I just picked up last week!
                  And another: having to wear the same color shirt every single day so that irregular regulars know where I work and bug me about it (bored people who don't work and are in the mall every day). My new stuff fits in with my general vintage-inspired style, so it will go to the grocery store as well as the office. I kind of missed dressing nicer for work (not that my new office coworkers do--that's definitely not my idea of business casual, but I digress.)

Comment

Working...
                  X