This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who thought this was a good idea?

The warehouse/stockroom is being reorganized because once the two other stores open in our end of the mall that shared hallway is gonna be an even bigger clusterfuck and we're not supposed to have any pallets out there (I think the plan is to make an area inside the warehouse for staging/breakdown...good luck. Our stockroom's tiny and it's not just grocery in there).

Part of the shuffling involved dismantling two sets of pallet racks, one freestanding along a wall and one set of shelves at the end of a row; the product on those shelves was simply moved over to the next set.

The middle shelf on the end unit was stuck in place, probably from all the weight on it until now. So the guys are banging on the bottom of the shelf with a mallet to try and loosen it, I hear a shuffling sound and look up.

The remaining top shelf has 7 cases high of pasta sauce (now who thought that was a good idea?), hemmed in on the end by lighter boxes and an empty plastic tote. 5 of the 7 sauce cases have toppled and are now leaning against the tote...which is 'held' by a 1/4" lip on the wire shelf. The shelf next to it is gone completely, so if any more vibrations get transmitted through the strut at least 50 pounds of glass is coming down on someone's head.

Me, K, and S: "HOLD UP! Glass on the top shelf about to fall! Nobody does anything until that's secured." In the process of doing so, S finds out that all of those cases of sauce can in fact go out on the floor, and should have before the stock shuffle started.
    K: "A cargo net up there wouldn't be a bad idea if people keep doing shit like that. Light stuff like crackers and pasta I can see stacking to the rafters, but glass?"

S gets the last case down and looks at everyone.
    S: "Tell me y'all opted in for the company accident insurance."
    Chorus of "Hell yeah."
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Stacking shelving with glass really high? Oh come on, what's the worst that can happen?

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...axPXsDVLCbGhVw
    There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

OMG I was just thinking of that. Anything with glass is supposed to be on the lower shelf or floor, J's going to have someone's ass for this I'm sure.

Every so often when I'm shelving olive oil on the salesfloor, that requires taking down stock and carefully putting my head inside the shelf to shuffle bottles around to make sure everything fits. At those times I wonder how much weight each shelf is holding (we have been instructed to notify managers immediately if we even think a shelf is sagging), and is an SC going to come up behind me and either grab my shoulder wanting help or just randomly bump me because they can.

Update: The section of racking in question has reappeared with the same reverse shelving tactic (racks on the walls are stocked correctly--heavier/dangerous-if-broken stuff on bottom, lighter up top), and I found a few open--wrap broken, one or two bottles missing--flats of glass on the top shelf...with the open end handily out of view. Only reason I discovered this is because I decided to go to the top of the ladder and look down on the shelf before I decided to grab anything. Time to tell J and leave another love note on the whiteboard...
      Last edited by Dreamstalker; 01-31-2017, 02:37 AM.
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
      X