This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometimes you have to sit back and watch the car wreck happen

Scouts once again. Hopefully you can understand my rambles..
    I'm conducting an Range safety Officer course and one of the guys grabs me to help plan and run an event in March for a Venture Crew. (guy #1) So they want 60 18+year old in 2 groups of 30 to shoot 8 different rifle and pistols in .45 and M1 Garand. Stuff they might use in the crew.

No they won't. Though not impossible they are too big for any use to teach even the basics. You just want these kids to blow off ammo- don't call it training.
    Then costs are an issue when I suggest a newer reactive target that's an self healing plastic ball. Hang it on a string so it's easy to set up and it will dance when hit. Paper targets take to long to change, and as they want to leave them up for 5 or more shooter, again what good are they to tell how they are shooting? At that rate why bother, just have them shoot into the backstop for the good it will do. Plus ammo is a lot, well duh the .30-06 for the M1 go for min .50 an round to over $1. I suggest an 9mm rifle or 5.56 that is about .18-.35 a round. So guy #1 likes my ideas and would like to smooth it out with guy #2 who's also running it.

The other background is guy #1 asked me straight up if there is issues with the committee listening to guy #2 due to being younger. I say I never thought so.
    So I do at an big meeting that inc the council executive. I relay my convo with guy #1 and rundown our talk-All I get back it no,no, nope not going to happen. This is how I do it. I get mad and ask so you don't want any help, other then us to just show up and man it even with the points I made. -YES. Then get up and leaves. (ok it was the last item but we were sitting there stunned silence.)
    I blurt out, screw it I'll show up to do something just to see this goatfuck.
    I did get lol's. I just got done emailing guy #1 to let him know how it went. Inc guy #2 attitude is the issue not everyone else. Not to expect the min 6-8 instructors they would need plus 1-2 RSO's. I'm showing up at this point to see the car wreck as a helper being I had nothing to do with planning or running it at this rate.
    AkaiKitsune
    Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

So Guy #1 was not surprised at my email and still wanted my input. So there might be a chance to salvage this.
    AkaiKitsune
    Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
      So Guy #1 was not surprised at my email and still wanted my input. So there might be a chance to salvage this.
      this is what u need to say when they ask for help since u gave them the input and they wanted nothing to do with it

Comment

One of the 2 didn't want it. It's BSA I don't get paid either way so.
        #1 did change his mind about using an M1 Garand. Fun yes, good for possible first shots , not really.
        AkaiKitsune

Comment

They want to use the same targets for 5 people? Hope they've got 5 colours of printer's ink.

In WW2, when training aerial gunners (had to use multiple students per target), they'd dip the noses of the bullets in printer's ink. Would leave a trace of ink around each bullet hole in the target, so they could see who had made which hit.

Depending on what stage of learning they're at, .22 rimfire might be a better choice, and would save a lot of money.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

On a related note I just got an email that my sons Troop screwed up and the new scout camp out that has been planned for 2 months is not next weekend. It's FRIDAY. opps sucks..
            I tried to take over when the old scoutmaster left but the old timers didn't like I was going to change things. Silly things like following BSA methods. Not the crap method you do because "that's how we did it since xxx" Now I have to scarf dinner and rush out to an emer meeting to get shit together. Bonus is the weather is going to take a dump this weekend here. High of 25 and snow. Well they better be ready or else.

Good thing I'm the equipment guy and not working and I just went though the shed and made sure everything is good and put my foot down a couple weeks ago and made them go through the tents and make sure they were good.
            "be prepared" lololololol.
            AkaiKitsune

Comment

Teh 5" of snow is here, winds building. It's going to be a lovely weekend.
              AkaiKitsune

Comment

I hope the kids are staying warm.

Comment

Normally a couple sr scouts tent with the new scouts but low of 16 and add 15+mph windchill, it's going to be an cabin weekend. We stressed the dress for warm but one of these utzes will show up in shorts and at least 3 will be in sneakers despite being told there will be a hike.
                  Unless there's a frostbite danger the "suck it up should of been prepared" rule will be in effect.
                  Only way they will learn.
                  AkaiKitsune

Comment

My nephew just made Eagle Scout - I think he'd point and laugh at them before helping them.
                    Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

I was in the Boy Scouts when I was a kid. One December camping trip, my folks were out of town and my grandparents helped me pack. I forgot my jacket, gloves, and hat. It was below freezing the entire weekend. I wore every piece of clothing I brought and borrowed gloves (too small) and a hat from someone else. Fortunately, I had cooking duties that weekend, so I was at least by a heat source.

I survived, and to this day, cold temperatures don't bother me as much.
                      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

My cousin Tom has a merit badge for camping out at colder than -50 degrees F.
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

All went well that weekend. The wreck for this weekend should be fun. So all this and only 15 people are signed up. LOL so much for 60. At least the weather will be ok.

So I got word on a new event like this one in April. I said I'd take point to try to keep the wreck to a paint scrape.
                          AkaiKitsune

Comment

Minor wreckage this weekend.
                            Thankfully less than 20 people showed instead of the 60 so that helped ALOT.

The guy #1 who has guns but doesn't know guns, still brought one I said ok because it's not the best but should work. Well it didn't. Guy #2 was on that station and couldn't get it to work. Also forgot to turn on the electronic sight on the other rifle. So I turned it on and brought my AR15 and put the .22 conv in it. So it shot light and we already had the ammo.
                            Targets worked ok. It limited us to 4 shooters so they had to wait but the other issue is we only had 4 qualed instructors it didn't matter.
                            Last fun it most kids listened and did good. The way the targets were set confused a few of them so they shot the wrong ones. Nothing unsafe just now if the guy on target 1 who had a good group now has 5 extra holes and it looks like he did badly.
                            The kid from this thread was there-http://www.customerssuck.com/board/showthread.php?t=115538
                            He had me jumpy but did great. He deserved the exception.
                            So of the 8 guns they shot 4 of them were mine. I know what they would like and could shoot.

After they got done we had some fun time. I broke out my Lee Enfield from 1916. It's a marvel to have an 101 year old battle rifle and it still can and does shoot nice.
                            I got to shoot a .500mag S&W. Holey crap! Putting the shell in the cyl I felt like I was loading a torpedo tube.
                            AkaiKitsune

Comment

My hubby's 7.62 Russian aka Nagant is fun to shoot but boy are those bullets long.
                              Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Working...
                              X