This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple human error...

Been awhile since I shared any stories, so I thought I would regale you all with the worst check story ever.

We're all human. We make mistakes sometimes. It happens. Sometimes those mistakes can cause embarrassment. This happened to me years ago, when I was 19.

It's important to this story that you know one bit of personal information about me. My last name is Goin. That's it. 4 letters. I have had is misspelled as Goins, Going, Goin', and once (on an award) as Gain. Strange, but not that big of a deal. But this time..

OK, so I spent a week 'beautifying' a property for a company. Really just raking leaves and pulling weeds. Whatever, it paid well. Turn in my time sheet, wait a week for payroll to cut a check, head to the bank. In line, I notice a small problem. Payroll misspelled my last name. OK, normally not a big deal. Except for HOW they spelled it.
    I have never been more embarrassed in my life than I was when 19yo me, bright red faced and giggling hysterically the whole time, tried to explain to the very attractive young bank teller that Payroll made a simple human error, a very simple mistake, and my last name really did not contain the letter R.

Yep. I had a check made out to Mr. Groin.

Ah your being crotchty
    AkaiKitsune
    Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Made an impression on Payroll...
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

At least you weren't a dick about it.
        It would take a lot of balls to cash that check.

I'll stop here so someone else can carry on.

You knew that this was coming.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
          You knew that this was coming.
          After you already tainted this thread?
          Last edited by EricKei; 03-05-2017, 10:39 AM. Reason: We just read it, kthnxbye
          AkaiKitsune
          Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

You are now a member of the Humorously Misspelled Name club. Don't get testy or cocky about it.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
              After you already tainted this thread?
              You started it. I just took it further down hill. Kinda surprised that dalesys didn't.

I have seen the spelling of my last name mangled on a variety of way. At least none of them were obscene.
              Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
              Save the Ales!
              Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                You started it. I just took it further down hill. Kinda surprised that dalesys didn't...
                I can't *do* everything for you all.
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

You just HAD to invoke his name, didn't ya?

My last name has been mangled creatively from time to time, as well. My favorite ended up the same as that belonging to a certain clawed Nightmare-dweller's!
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

My last name contains, in that order, an L and an I. If printed all in caps (common) the L and I tend to merge together, and my married name becomes a VERY COMMON cuss word. I tend to dot the I large and obnoxiously just to avoid just ridiculousness. My husband and his mother both had refund checks, from the phone company and the power company, made out to CUSS WORD. Both of them framed them and stuck them on the wall (very small checks, no loss to not cash).

It was doubly funny that MIL did that, because she hated the cuss word, and forbade its use in front of her, so to have her put it up on the wall in print was pretty funny.

Comment

My last name is hard to spell unless it is either spelled out, written down, or has been known to a few people who can spell it. The problem is not in the spelling but the pronunciation of it, I can always tell when a telemarketer is on the phone because they mangle the crap out of it.
                      Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Ka-eh-li? Ka-ell-ee? Ky-lee?
                        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

I'd just say it as "Kay-lee" -- Sounds shiny
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I have that problem from time to time with my first name. I've seen it spelled a few different ways. I used to correct people, but now I generally only do it for "official" documents and such. What I think is amusing, though, is when people spell it wrong in an email, when my correctly-spelled name is in the "To" line. My son might run into a similar issue with his name...

My last name is fairly easy to spell.
                            Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

My first name is a simple biblical name of a half-dozen letters or less. Very common in the English-speaking world, at least up until a couple of decades ago. My last name is a simple two-syllable English word.

Doesn't help. I can't even begin to count the number of different ways people have screwed up the spelling, usually making things that aren't words or names in the first place!
                              “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                              One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                              The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
                              X