X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Even a Buddha has limits

LONG, RANTY POST AHEAD

I am legitimately pissed off right now. These last 4 weeks seem to be testing how far I can be pushed before I eventually snap and mutilate a guest. I know having to put up with a crazy now and again is expected, but lordy are these people pretentious.

Some of you may have already read my Accommodation Red Tape story on the SC thread, so you get the gist. I just got off a shift where a guy came up to the front desk complaining about the WiFi, saying he had connection issues. We (more like he coz he wouldn't let me help him) fixed the issue but then he went off at me saying how mediocre our internet was compared to everywhere else he's stayed around the world.

I live in Australia, but the guy was Australian as well. One of those well travelled business types. Our internet is SHIT (seriously look it up). He then said how he might not come stay with us again and he was give us a low rating SPECIFICALLY because of the bad WiFi. THIS ISN'T THE FUCKING HILTON YOU POS.

I came very close to squeezing out a sarcastic remark, but I was being too kind and flabbergasted to do it. When I check this guy out tomorrow, I can't guarantee I won't deck him.

Other problems include my last shift when a guest has booked an extended stay of 13 days, but the full amount for the stay hasn't been paid yet. I don't know what every hotel, motel or whatever's policy is, but we usually collect the full amount from our place. This guy started an argument with me about why our place does it, when every other place in the chain he's stayed at around the world doesn't. He then asked me stuff like why doesn't it say anything on the terms and conditions laminated on the table and other crap like that.

I am just working here to work the machines and process your bookings. If you want to take it up with someone, take it to admin. I know this is very irresponsible not knowing the terms and conditions of the place I'm working for, but has it ever occurred to this douchebag that NOT EVERY PLACE WORKS ON THE SAME WAVELENGTH!?!?!?!?!

My last big problem was another WiFi case, coz the guy requested a room with a good signal. He was placed in a room closest to an extender(?) but for some reason, it wasn't working well, so he came up to the desk and I did what I could. He went on and on about how slow it was and even demanded we move him to another room. Thankfully we didn't have to.

I am so sick of these pretentious, petty assholes complaining about every tiny detail and taking it out on the staff. I'm sorry about the WiFI, but I'm not the IT guy. If the connection is that bad, use mobile data or something if you can figure it out. You are a petty person to give a low score to accommodation just for bad WiFi. Yes I know it's categorised under facilities, but when you base your review around one factor it's pathetic. YOU CAN LIVE WITHOUT CAT VIDEOS FOR FIVE SECONDS.

I am aware that I should know more about the way things run around here and should be able to fix any problem I'm given, but it's hard to lend a hand when I'm not even given the chance and the guest is an asshole. Respect the staff, and we respect you.

Fellow Aussie here. Yep our internet sucks balls.

I live just off the CBD of the capital city in my state so mine's ok. But parents live in a costal town who's population explodes over summer. Hell the whole area probably increases 4-5x the winter levels. Do you think there is any provisions for extra capacity on the mobile networks let alone internet/phone lines? Bahahahahahahahaha nope.

It was bad enough before but with everyone now needing cat videos every 5 seconds, half the time you can't even get the SOS signal. It took 2 hours just to get the 'watch and act' messages from the new emergency system to come through between 3 mobiles. Can you imagine what would happen if it was a 'seek shelter, it's too late to leave' message?

I want to send the whiners to places that are still using satellite internet or make them use the old school dial up connections. But then I'm slightly
    A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Here at the Hellton we get lots of complaints about their wifi being too slow too, and it is. Even worse with those businessmen trying to download their 100 terabyte file on their laptop, to those with cheap laptops from the first model, so it takes forever. It depends on your model and how big your file is, but woe be tide me if I say this, the TRUTH, cause it's always our fault, always will be and they'll put me in my place soon. Wtf.
      As for extended stays, we take authorization for 7 days, and then the rest later, but I don't expect that for other companies , and neither should they. We get a lot of complaints about this policy too, it tsempems whatever it is, there'll be someone who complains about it. Some people just LIVE to complain, like they're addicted, imho.
      Can't reason with the unreasonable.
      The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

I don't get these people who complain about everything when they go to a hotel. As long as the room is clean and the employees are friendly, I'm happy. Internet is nice but if it's being wonky, I'll just find something else to do. I'm certainly not going to make a poor, overworked front desk clerk miserable over something that's out of their control.
        Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Quoth PoliteBoy View Post
          \YOU CAN LIVE WITHOUT CAT VIDEOS FOR FIVE SECONDS.
          Don't bet on it.

But seriously ... if they need WiFi as badly as that for business purposes, then put up at a place where they know they can get top-notch WiFi service -- and pay for it.

I like to have WiFi as much as anybody, but good grief ... I like a good night's sleep even better. If the place has a comfortable and quiet room, that's enough for me.
          Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Fun fact from the industry: slow Wi-Fi is the most common complaint made about Western - meaning United States Canada and Europe - Hotels.

Yesterday we had a guests complained 4 times about not being able to get on the Wi-Fi. After we finally convinced her to bring her laptop to the lobby I got her on in four seconds. Nobody else knows how to search for a splash page? Really?

Also there was someone else going off on me because hotel that caters to business Travelers shouldn't put their computers in the atrium. You know what most business Travelers have? Their own laptops.
            Last edited by WishfulSpirit; 03-21-2017, 05:19 PM.
            "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post

Nobody else knows how to search for a splash page? Really?
              Um ... I don't even know what a splash page is ...
              Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth PoliteBoy View Post
                LONG, RANTY POST AHEAD
                I live in Australia, but the guy was Australian as well. One of those well travelled business types. Our internet is SHIT (seriously look it up).
                I have good Internet as my area was converted to fibre to the home NBN. It works well - no more lost connections during storms.

The company that I work for supports sites that have satellite Internet. If there is rain over the main base station then all the satellite sites drop off the network.

Comment

If you're in a small hotel in NoWheresville, Wyoming trying to doing anything on your laptop at 9PM just stop, everyone and their mother is on-line and you're just going to get mad for nothing. 6AM on the other hand - awesome, no probs at all.
                  Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                    Um ... I don't even know what a splash page is ...
                    I believe that means the main page, the one that pops up by default. I've found in most hotels it practically slaps you in the face as soon as you open your browser. In hotels, it typically asks you to log in and might have directions. If it doesn't have directions, they're in the room somewhere, look for the laminated cards. I know how to do it and I barely ever travel... I just read the directions...

Comment

Working...
                    X