This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trainer tips

So my manager asked me if I could train this new hire and I said sure. She's never worked in a hotel before, so I was filling her on all the things to watch out for, things that I had to pick up along the way, things that the stupid 100+ training videos never ever talk about. Anyone who's worked in customer service knows what I'm talking about I think. Anyway, the manager heard me describing all my bad prior experiences to the noob, and she (the manager) quickly steered her into another topic. I didn't think that I was doing anything wrong, I just wanted her to have realistic view of the job but the manager didn't agree, I think she thought that the noob would be scared and run off. I don't want to scare her off, since we're short staffed, but I do want her to be on alert! How should I go about being informative but not scary? :/ any tips?
    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Yeah, in training they say "fast paced" when they mean "horrible stressful chaos." If they do mention upset customers/guests they make it sound like the customer is going to very calmly state their problem like "I have found a problem and am unhappy." RIGHT.

I mean, I get that they don't want to scare people, but sugar coating it won't help either. My work saw that over and over in the form of new hires quitting nearly instantly.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Only job I had the management gave dealing with the SC training was at the gun range.

I had a giggle, one mgr using a toy pistol in place of real one played the SC.
      He was to do various bad things and the big no- turn it on me.
      My lutz was as we went though the demo he didn't do anything. Finally I asked was I doing something wrong? He said no, just that I was doing a such a great job he had no choice but to listen and comply. He did let me pin him in the corner of the booth and disarm him.
      AkaiKitsune
      Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

The only advice is this

Show them procedures several times
        Have them "teach" those procedures back to you several times
        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
          ... one mgr using a toy (squirt) pistol in place of real one played the SC...
          His first experience of a .045 caliber colonoscopy?
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth HotelMinion View Post
            How should I go about being informative but not scary? :/ any tips?
            Is the newbie going to be working with more seasoned people for a while? If so, she can learn by watching, or by handling a situation under the eye of the more seasoned person. If they're just going to throw her out on the floor by herself as soon as possible, then I'm not sure you're doing anything wrong. Refusing to acknowledge the SCs that she will be dealing with is a sure way to get her to quit VERY soon.
            Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
              His first experience of a .045 caliber colonoscopy?
              No but using a real pistol to demo how a sc might point it at you is a bad idea. Even with making sure it's clear is still violates a cornerstone firearms rule-
              do not point a gun at anything you don't attend to shoot

Back on topic AZ autoparts has a day long course on hire and at a MGR I did several all day courses and the only take away is to knuckle under to SC whims even if you sell at a loss it will be made up with more profitable sales later.

HA!
              AkaiKitsune
              Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Working...
              X