This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New job (on 4/20...eeep).

So my new job at a new hotel, where my former coworker is AGM, is starting Thursday. I'm excited and nervous but realized that day is 4/20 (which for those who don't know is a code for marijuana usage). I also live and work in a legal for recreational state, which should make things...interesting. At least I'm on the day shift now, I can have a real life again!

Also this is a good reminder to be respectful of everyone. The AGM who offered me the position is on the other side of the political spectrum from me. Had I decided to be less than polite in our debates / agree to disagree areas, I'd still be out of work with no idea when I'd have income again.
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

I hope you have a blazin' first day!
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Congrats on the new job! May your new job be smokin'

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
        Also this is a good reminder to be respectful of everyone. The AGM who offered me the position is on the other side of the political spectrum from me. Had I decided to be less than polite in our debates / agree to disagree areas, I'd still be out of work with no idea when I'd have income again.
        Had an incident a few years back. Overnighting at a truck stop in New Jersey, it was early evening. Was walking from the exit to my truck, going past one of the shop bay doors. A random driver from another company was asking a mechanic to lend him a test light so he could diagnose an issue with his CB (mechanics don't lend tools). I offered to help him diagnose it. Found the problem - fuse was blown, he didn't have the exact replacement fuse so he put in a bigger one (couldn't give him a fuse, my truck takes a different size).

Couple weeks later at another truck stop in New York state, the only space left was a difficult blindside. Guess who offered to spot for me?
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Congratulations on your new job, and have a great first day!

Also, respect goes both ways ... sounds like the AGM was also respectful of your opinions, even when they collided with his/hers. Kudos to both of you!
          Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I'm working the night shift and we sold out.
            To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Respectful is great. It would be even better if we could keep the politics discussion way down at work but it's tough. I can't figure out how I'm going to get through the family reunion.

Comment

Well first day went well. I already know the software so I just have to learn property-specific stuff. It's nice working for a boss who already knows me.
                "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Congrats on the new job and great first day!

Comment

Quoth Shyla View Post
                    Respectful is great. It would be even better if we could keep the politics discussion way down at work but it's tough. I can't figure out how I'm going to get through the family reunion.
                    Usually when my family gets together politics is off the table.

Except when my brother (fairly central) decides to prod our younger sister (more right-of-centre). So far there's been no violence ...

We REALLY have to keep politics off the table at work in order not to start a flaming battle in front of (or worse yet, with) the customers. Most of us are, AFAIK, on the same side of the dividing line, in varying degrees, so there's not really all that much dispute in any case.
                    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I simply refuse to discuss religion or politics at work, with customers or co-workers. I just don't think topics that contentious are appropriate on the job myself.
                      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I hope that you're enjoying your job so far. Make this new month more productive.

Comment

Working...
                        X