This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My schedule is changing, Yay!

I'm always Mon-Fri, which I actually don't like, but whatever. I started at 8:00-4:30 for training and the time I was still new, so there would be people around to help me. Then for whatever reason they switched me to 9:00-5:30, probably because my boss knows I'm not a morning person. It's been ok, but honestly I breeze in and toss my stuff on my desk at 8:59 every morning.

A few days ago we all got an email stating we need later coverage on phones and asking if anyone wanted to switch to close (10:30-7:00, or whenever we get out) and I responded that I've always wanted that shift. My boss and her boss approved me to start that on Monday. Boss' boss even apologized that I hadn't gotten it before because he didn't know I preferred that and I said no worries; I understand that as a new person I needed to be in earlier! [He's so nice, is my point. He's also the guy that says he's not crazy about stats, so I am happy he's there.] Yeah, it will be dark soon after I get out of work, but I can go to bed at midnight as usual but still be able to get some things done in the morning, be fully caffeinated and made up for work, and not feel so rushed. I got really used to mid-shifts at the retail when I was full time and it felt comfortable.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Congratulations! I'm not a morning person either, so I know what you mean, LOL. I get up just in time to dress and rush off to my office job ... where I make a cup of tea and a cup of instant oatmeal.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Haha, I have instant oatmeal in my desk!

Comment

That's great you have a shift you like better! Isn't it funny how different people are, the shift that you liked is one of my most hated. Just ruins my day, as I'm too tired to do anything when I get home, and then I end up sleeping in too late to accomplish anything the next morning. I'm certainly not a morning person, but hey at least the day gets over sooner. (at least that's how I see it)
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I am not a morning person either, but i actually prefer getting all my stuff done early. I know that makes no sense, but on weekdays, I get up, and putter and have my coffee and watch the news for 45 mins or so until i have to get ready for work. Traffic is better earlier too. I then get out around 4ish.

Weekends, i am NOT one to sleep in. Since it takes me a couple of hours to become functional, when NOT at work, i actually prefer getting up early, having my coffee, puttering around and then getting done what i need to.

Comment

Catwoman and NAR, I can on some level relate. When I was 8-4:30 it was nice to get out kind of early. However, here the traffic earlier is horrendous. One hour makes such a difference.

My ideal would be 1:30-10:00 or something like that. I'll have to get up earlier than I want to in order to have that puttering time in the morning or walk if I want to. But if a big storm or disorderly neighbors keep me up late at least I won't run too late to work.

Comment

Some years back I worked an 11 am to 7 pm one day a week to back up the employment advertising division; it was that crazy-busy, and I often got 30 to 60 minutes of overtime out of it too, as well as a ride home. It was a sweet shift, for the most part, because I could sleep a little later, or get some shopping done, visit the library, or whatever, before I had to be at work. Best part was that I was just inputting ads all day. I didn't have to talk to customers except now and then to ask a question. Those were the days!
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I work 1-10 5 days a week. I'm in retail, and most people do not like that shift. I love it! I'm not a morning person AT ALL!!

My coworkers love me because they don't have to work that shift - for a couple of reasons. First, they're mostly morning people (ugh). Second, being in retail, most of the staff in the afternoons and evenings is kids/students. Since I'm the supervisor and for most of them this is their first job, I can train them the "right way", which will help them in the future with other jobs. I'm talking about things like: show up on time, do your work instead of playing on your phone, learn how to get along with others. A lot of adults don't have the patience for that - I'll admit it can be frustrating at times, but for the most part, my "kids" love me! I've even had some come back years later and tell me that they appreciated what I taught them. What's better than that????

Anyway, congrats on getting the shift you want. Night owls ROCK!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X