Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I just shoot myself in the foot ...

... or am I over-analyzing things?

Who do I run into today but my boss for my internship position. We chatted briefly and of course he asked how my job was going. I smiled and said "I wish you'd called me first." (He called literally three hours after I'd accepted my current position.)

He said "Ach" (I swear ) and waved a hand as if he was shooing away chickens. We exchanged a couple of more non-work-related comments and then went our separate ways.

Afterwards, of course, I thought of a variety of other answers I believed I should have given: "It would go better if I had more work ... it's very slow" (I know his office is very busy), which is a pretty specific response (*hint hint* GOT ANY OPENINGS?!) Or something really neutral like "Wow, family law really kills a lot of trees!"

Now I'm thinking even if a position ever opens up in his office again, that one comment has wrecked my chances of even being considered.

So ... did I really make a huge blunder, or do I need to give myself a smack upside the head and tell myself to calm down?
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Smack! Calm down.

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
      Smack! Calm down.

Thanks.

I'm not usually a drama llama ... but occasionally ...

Also, I have a sick kitty. Thankfully he already has a vet appointment tomorrow -- to do a followup on the treatment of an unrelated health problem!
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I went to the Unemployed Help Centre today to update my resume and write up a template for a cover letter. I wanted some help in that since the reason I'd like to find a new job is that there is waaaay too much downtime in my current job, but of course complaining about your current job is NOT a good idea.

While I was there I told the front-desk person (she's the person I go to most often with my questions) about my encounter with my internship boss at the downtown cafe.

FDP: *stares at me* "Did you follow up on that?"

Me: "Wha ...? No. Follow up?"

FDP: "Yes! Send him an email and tell him it was nice running into him and if he's ever got an opening you'd love to interview for it!"

Me: "Um ... no ..."

FDP: "DO IT! NOW!!!"

Me:

So yeah, I sent him a two-line email based on her suggestion. Nothing to lose and maybe something to gain down the road.
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
          I smiled and said "I wish you'd called me first." (He called literally three hours after I'd accepted my current position.)

Now I'm thinking even if a position ever opens up in his office again, that one comment has wrecked my chances of even being considered.
          Only if he's someone you wouldn't want to work for anyway. You showed that you would've preferred working for him, but honor prior commitments. If anything that should show you're a responsible person.

Comment

Sounds like OP is experiencing the work version of Reba's song "One Promise Too Late".
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
              Sounds like OP is experiencing the work version of Reba's song "One Promise Too Late".
              Never heard the song so I had to Google the lyrics ... and um, okay, it's not quite THAT intense. I just have unfortunately discovered that the job I accepted has way, WAY too much downtime. It is not at all unusual for me to arrive at 9 a.m. and have literally nothing to do until 11 a.m. -- or even later. It's not a situation I like. Not something I could've known ahead of time, alas.

Anyway, I sent an email (on the advice of an employment agency counsellor) next day basically just saying "Nice to see you; if you ever have an opening, I'd be happy to interview it." And that's that.

The SHADOW, I hope that's how he sees it.

I've since notified my college course coordinator that I'd appreciate it if she'd keep me in mind if employers ever come knocking at her door (some just go straight to her and bypass ads). I explained why. So will just have to wait and see what turns up over the next few months.

I'm hoping some positions open up in midsummer when some of the more ambitious folk opt to return to school to either train for a paralegal or to become lawyers themselves.
              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
              X