Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I almost hung up on a phone interview...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I almost hung up on a phone interview...

I wasn't trying to be funny during the course of it. The guy was literally laughing at some of my answers. And I don't just mean a chuckle. He was an internal guy at company X, going through a "phone screen" (oh, how I hate those things).

Granted, some of the things he was asking me (and laughing about) may have been over my head, but I don't really find that any reason to laugh at a potential recruit.

I really did consider hanging up, or at least telling him "Sorry, this interview is over." before hanging up. I mean, if he didn't think I was doing a good job, he could have politely cut the interview short.

But I don't really want to burn any bridges since I'm still looking.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

With a welcome like that, are you sure it's a bridge you'd want to cross?
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
      With a welcome like that, are you sure it's a bridge you'd want to cross?
      That's definitely a valid point. At this point, absolutely not. Part of me wonders if he was doing it just to show how much HE knew. And sometimes because of his accent, I had a hard time understanding what he was saying, and what he was asking. But I KNOW that he was laughing at me.

I am tempted, though, once I get a new position to send an email expressing just how unprofessional that was. Though I don't know if I want to do that, either.

Comment

Unless you are very close to retirement age, you might want to write the letter ... and then burn it. Or delete it. Things in writing can come back to bite your ass when you least expect it.

I've had some interviews with jerks as well; I sympathize with your situation. Now, many MANY years later, I think of the responses I'd have liked to have given but didn't. Most boiled down to a polite, "You know, I think this interview is over" after which I'd calmly walk out the door.

But this isn't worth jeopardizing your entire future over. Consider it a learning experience and think about how you'd play it if it happened again. AND how you would respond if this company happens to call you back for anything ...
        Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
          Unless you are very close to retirement age, you might want to write the letter ... and then burn it. Or delete it. Things in writing can come back to bite your ass when you least expect it.
          Well, honestly I just turned 40 last year...I'd like to retire at 50, but a few things have to happen first.

But this isn't worth jeopardizing your entire future over. Consider it a learning experience and think about how you'd play it if it happened again.
          It really ticked me off at the time, but I think the best advice is what you said. Just let it be.

AND how you would respond if this company happens to call you back for anything ...
          Well if they call me back (and that's a BIG if at this point) for a face to face interview, I may go (just for the practice), with the hopes that someone else will call and offer a position first.

I have one with a bowling organization. That's not bad since I like bowling. I'm not real fond of the drive, but it'd give me a chance to work on some neat projects converting legacy code into a modern codebase.

EDIT:

Earlier I got an email...they actually want to have a Face to Face with me. I'm completely shocked. I'm not necessarily in a position to turn down an interview/job right now, so I'm hoping something else materializes between now and then...
          Last edited by mjr; 05-23-2017, 03:22 PM.

Comment

If nothing else, it's practice at interviewing.
            “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
            One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
            The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
              If nothing else, it's practice at interviewing.
              Right now that's how I'm looking at it. I've got a couple of other possible opportunities that I hope to hear from today (Wednesday) regarding interviews, and one other that I could interview with late this week or early next week, hopefully. Though the recruiter told me for that one that realistically I probably wouldn't be onboarded until around June 12.

Heck, I even had a guy contact me yesterday evening about a two month contract job. He asked me my rate.

I told him based on the duration and the location, and since there wasn't a possibility of going permanent, I'd need something like $50-$60 per hour. I also asked him what would happen if I got an offer while working the contract. I'll see what he says.

What makes this even more difficult is Memorial Day Weekend is coming up, and some people take off that Friday, too. So if I don't hear anything from anyone by the end of the day Thursday, there's a good chance I won't until Tuesday.
              Last edited by mjr; 05-24-2017, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Ugh...

So I get an email about the interview. It's actually five separate interviews over 2.5 hours. So I have to "run the gauntlet", as it were. And it's Tuesday.

I really hope one of the other positions comes through first...

Comment

That's how I have done it in several tech companies. (Both as a job applicant and as someone interviewing applicants, at different times.) You wind up meeting with the rest of the team, and probably a few members of other teams that you might be working with. It's a long day, and can be pretty grueling, but it does give you a chance to see who you might be working with.

Good luck with the process!

And be grateful it isn't Google, as their hiring process tends to take months...
                  “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                  One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                  The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

So this afternoon I get an email from one of their internal executive recruiters. She knew that distance was a concern for me. And where they are now is nothing compared to where they're going to be. I did a "Google Maps" of it, and it said that in the mornings it would take me between an hour and 10 minutes and two hours to get there.

I don't know if I want to move forward with that one...

Comment

A long commute would make me turn down a job offer. But if you can afford to take time for the interview you might as well go. Definitely find out how much you'd have to work with the rude guy from the phone. He sounds annoying. It's a red flag that their phone screener is not a great representative.

Comment

Quoth Shyla View Post
                        A long commute would make me turn down a job offer. But if you can afford to take time for the interview you might as well go. Definitely find out how much you'd have to work with the rude guy from the phone. He sounds annoying. It's a red flag that their phone screener is not a great representative.
                        I think he was going to be one of the "in person" interviewers, too. I told the HR person that the time for the drive likely wouldn't work out.

So I'll have to keep plugging away.

Comment

Quoth Shyla View Post
                          It's also a red flag when one of the interviewers, when walking you back out the door, says quietly, 'You really don't want to work here'.

I took the job anyway. It was horrible, but it was also a stepping stone to better things, and that worked well. But that was 18 months I'd rather not think about.

You see, you have to do the interview now, so you can tell us all about it! I want to see if you get to meet the hyena face to face!

Comment

Quoth ladyjaneinmd View Post
                            I want to see if you get to meet the hyena face to face!
                            I think he is one of the "gauntlet" interviewers. I saw a name in the list that looked familiar.

Comment

That's a LOT of time and gas and car wear and tear to endure... My husbands health went downhill markedly after 18 months of 3 hours commuting daily. As did his temper!

Comment

Working...
                              X