This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm putting in for a transfer

We're going through something of a management exodus at the Store right now. The store manager who we've had the last few years is transferring to the Next State Over (where he's originally from) to take over a store from a manager who's retiring. Our daytime assistant manager is getting promoted, but he's not staying here - he's taking over a different store, and a guy who used to be our daytime assistant is coming in as manager of this store. It's all a bit dizzying, and in the midst of it all our de facto store manager has been a guy who was hired on from a competing chain as an assistant-in-training a few months ago.

Anyway, the long and short of it is that the departing assistant has told me that he has two openings for shift managers at the store he's transferring to, and he suggested I should apply for one. It's closer to my house by about 20 miles and located in a better-off neighborhood economically. It only does about 60% of what the Store does in terms of sales - which is still pretty damn busy relative to our competitors - but as a full-time employee I'll still be getting 40 hours a week and making the same hourly rate.

After weighing it back and forth in my head for a few days, I decided to go for it. It's not a 100% guarantee that I'll get the transfer, but considering that the person who suggested I go for it is the same person who'll decide which applications to take, it's a pretty good shot.

I'll miss my coworkers at the Store (especially the ones who've been there with me since opening day), and I fear I'll get bored because there's less work to do, but I won't miss the constant frantic-ness of it and the level of craziness the Store's clientele brings to the table. (In the past two weeks, we've had a teenager crap himself while trying to fight LP, petitioners harassing people in the parking lot to the point that we had to call the cops, a man trying to fence stolen watches inside the store, two leashless dogs roaming unaccompanied, a drive-by shooting in the section of the parking lot we affectionately refer to as "the sex corner", and a customer injuring himself by trying to climb into the rafters to pull down a case of bottled water. The store I'll be transferring to does not have those kind of antics at that level of frequency.)

Good luck! Sounds like it will be a good move for you.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Comment

Finally got a call back about the transfer application, and I'm having a phone interview with my old boss (and presumably soon-to-be new boss) on Monday.

Comment

Crossing my fingers for ya.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I hope it all works out for you!
          Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I got the transfer!

The phone interview was the easiest interview I've ever had, since the manager already knows me and what I'm capable of. It pretty much went like this;

Manager: So, you wanna come over here?
            Me: Yeah.
            Manager: OK.

I had to do a background check and a drug test before it could be made official, but those came back clean and the manager of my current store told me today that my first day at the nearby store is next week.

I'll miss my coworkers, but I won't miss the crazies and I certainly won't miss the commute. It's been getting unpredictable lately with the traffic jams on the freeway - if I'd been late one more time, I would've gotten a written warning, which ironically would have prevented me from transferring for six months.

Comment

Conga Rats! ^__^
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Smapti View Post
                I got the transfer!
                Sounds like an excellent opportunity, and I hope everything works out spectacularly!
                Quoth Smapti View Post
                I'll miss my coworkers, but I won't miss the crazies and I certainly won't miss the commute.
                That's pretty much how I felt about leaving the fabric store.
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Congratulations! I'm sure you will find it a much better fit!
                  Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                  ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Congratulations.... :P and you really don't think the crazies will follow?? They will find you!!
                    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

I always thought it sucked that employers blamed the employees for not knowing there were going to be a traffic jams/accidents that would make them late for work.
                      Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Working...
                      X