This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rites of Passage

Whatever your job, there may be a particular thing that is a frequent event or customer or whatever that everyone ends up having to deal with at least once. Whether it's having to listen to the ramblings of self-important assholes, or cleaning up a disgusting spill, or getting screwed on a tip for delivering someone's pizza, every job has those "rites of passage" that every newbie has to deal with before they're considered part of the team.

Share your stories here.
    =======
    To kick things off, let me tell you about One Particular Caller (OPC) that we have at The Client. I may have mentioned her once or twice in previous posts. OPC is not a sucky customer. She's never unpleasant, she's never rude. But she has a tendency to ramble on if you don't keep her on-task, and she does not retain anything you teach her. OPC is not our "worst" caller on the IT Service Desk's Top 10 list-- that goes to someone who generates far more tickets than she should-- but she's by far the most memorable. If you mention OPC's name, other IT desk folks know immediately who you mean, and will react with grimaces, sighs, and shakes of the head.

In OPC's defense, she got her start at The Client before the advent of PCs, and she is quite the older person. (I don't have specifics when it comes to her age.) Many of OPC's calls will end up being that she doesn't remember how to copy-paste something from one folder to another. Or she doesn't remember how to create a folder. Or she doesn't remember how to re-name a file. Or she doesn't know how scanned images work (i.e., you can't edit what's in the images without image-editing software, which isn't commonly available on Client machines).

Sometimes, OPC will be trying to organize her files and need help with the folder creation etc., but will then ask something like "How should I organize this?" Which of course, we can't really answer. These are her files, the organization method should make sense to her, and we have no guarantees that whatever method we might suggest would make sense to her, given her frequent confusion.

Couple all this with her aforementioned tendency to ramble on, and it's not unheard of for calls with OPC to last upwards of 40 minutes. It is those call-lengths that have landed her high on our Top 10 list.

I have been fortunate in my more recent dealings with OPC that I manage to keep her from drifting off topic and will gently interrupt her initial ramblings to nudge her back on-task. So I can get whatever issue she had fixed in around 5 minutes. This does not, however, make me want to have to deal with her, because even my Mom-- one of the least tech-savvy people I know-- has been able to pick things up after enough repetition that she now can do her own troubleshooting. So anyone that persistently has issues with basic computer skills like copy-pasting or renaming files is someone that I don't want to spend any time on the phone with.

TL;DR Version of OPC: Confused older user who does not retain information and will ramble on if you let her. Calls typically run long, upwards of 40 minutes.

Now I've mentioned this background with OPC, I can get to the basis of a story.

Yesterday at work, I happened to overhear my coworker "Bort" mention OPC. I missed the context of why her name had come up, but just the mention of her name got a groan from me and a few other folks in the area. But then another coworker, "Plum," asked, "Who's OPC?" Bort and I could not believe she hadn't gotten a call from her, so we explained who she was and why people dread calls from her.

Less than two hours later, guess who called into the desk?
    And guess which member of the IT service desk she happened to get?

Bort and I both laughed at the whims of fate. Some half an hour later, a grumbling Plum finally finished up with OPC. I promptly shook Plum's hand and told her, "Welcome to the crew!"
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

My store's was a bit weird but in pizza delivery there are some strange regulars

Our "Rite of Passage" used to be Naked Guy. I posted about him a long time ago but since he either got a live-in GF or moved no new stories or newbie drivers to "scare"

He mostly ordered on busy nights like Fri and Sat nights to newbies had a good chance to getting him.
    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I guess the rite of passage at the fabric store would be the first time a newbie had to close. Usually they had worked a few mid day shifts, so closing was a shock. Instead of swanning in when there is already staff at the registers and cutting counter, then swanning back out when the closers show up, without a care in the world, now THEY are the closers. As soon as the closers clock in, all the rest of the employees run like the wind, and THEY are left to clean up the disaster of a store. If it's a bad day, they don't have any backup. If it's a good day, they have one backup person.

Then, when the store is closed, they are faced with the reality that there are multiple people aimlessly shopping with no intention of leaving any time soon. At that point they start really seeing how awful the store is, and how hopeless. If it's a REALLY bad day, they will be closing with the worst manager, the one who will make them stay late without asking, who doesn't even acknowledge the fact that everyone was supposed to be off long ago, and who will not give any indication of when they will get to go home.

So yeah, that's a decent rite of passage.
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Heh, we had a lot of those!

- there was the Dog Lady, who claimed to be blind and wanted to know if there were any free dogs listed in the paper. She wasn't supposed to have pets in her rented house, so even if she got one, the landlord would make her give it away. Rinse and repeat, etc.
        - there was the realtor who ALWAYS waited until 30 seconds to closing time to call in her ads for the weekend, and then hemmed and hawed over every single word. "Um, uh...3 bedroom, no 2 bedroom...um, colonial...um, uh...um..." And on and on for 20 minutes.
        - Various crazy people who would scream like lunatics if you asked them to repeat something they'd said, or if you told them the price of the ad and they thought it was too high.
        - right now, it's the creepy guy who sends in ads for numerous things including adult movies. and always wants the ads to say "will deliver." Ew.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Back at our pizza joint, we had some crazies, but I don't THINK we had a naked guy >_> ...So I'm gonna go with :

Stage 1 : Work the cut table at halftime when the local team is winning; read: Every single phone line lights up at once and stays that way for half an hour, from people who are somehow surprised to hear that delivery time is now longer than usual.

Stage 2 : Work the cut table during parade season (the last 5 days of Mardi Gras); read: Both ovens on at full blast (500+ degrees F), small pizzas coming out side by side/touching, 3 across and all the way back, nonstop from 9AM to 11PM.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

In helltels, you can't call yourself an un-newbie unless you deal with 20 plus drunken wedding guests...by yourself; asking for or getting help is cheating. Only then I can call you hotel-Bro or Sis. :P
            Can't reason with the unreasonable.
            The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

Working...
            X