This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not trying to insult you, really!

Sales is a fun thing, no really, I love it! However now, I'm a supervisor... not much of a chance to sell.

Anyway, I notice a couple looking at treadmills... so I look around to see if they're being helped. Both people scheduled in the department are busy. It used to be my turf, so I decided to step in.

I go up to them, greet them, introduce myself and get their names. (That's what you're supposed to do)

So they're interested in getting a treadmill. Actually, just the wife is. The husband said he liked to do his walking outside.

Slight problem, the wife is a bigger lady and she's looking at a $400 treadmill. It's not going to be big enough for her. This is you know a customer really doesn't know what they need. So, I tried to side-step the weight issues first when I went to a NordicTrack. I did my spiel saying "this will be a lot more reliable unit. The frame is more solid, and the motor is a lot stronger... so not only will you get a smoother workout, you'll get a quieter workout as well."

Lady wasn't having it, she went right back down to the $400 unit and asked to try it out. So I put the key in and I say, "notice how it kind of bogs down" which it was... then I add, "the bigger motor on the NordicTrack wouldn't do that. The quality of your workout will be greatly improved."

She snapped at me and said, "all you salesmen are alike, always trying to upsell. What's wrong with me buying this $400 treadmill??"

And I said, "ma'am, I'm not really trying to upsell you. However, this treadmill is designed for more petite users (I really have a hard time addressing weight issues because I know it's a SUPER sensitive subject and I'm not in it to offend people). The NordicTrack is built for people more of your stature."

And she snapped at me again claiming I was calling her fat... and I was taking advantage of the fact that she has a weight issues to line my pockets. After her ranting for about 2 minutes, (felt like 20) she said she was taking her business where she wouldn't be insulted.

I was just trying to be helpful.
    When will the fantasy end? When will the heaven begin?

I wouldn't take it too hard. A situation like that, you're guaranteed to lose no matter what you do.

I'd explain the situation to your supervisor though as a CYA measure, in case she comes back to tear off a chunk of it.
    ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

Yeah, in something like that, you are going to lose.
      Under The Moon Paranormal Research
      San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Bah! People need to embrace their size. I'm a linebacker or a sumo-wrestler, depending on who you ask, and I'll admit it. I'm PROUD of being solid enough to make someone's feet slip out from under them when they try to drag my somewhere by the arm! If I ever wanted a home gym I'd go in knowing full-well that most of the gear isn't made for guys my size, and one of my top concerns is going to be finding one that can handle what I'd put it through.

Oh, wait, I'm not a Sucky Customer.
        ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
        And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

It sounds like a big ol' "can't win, don't try".

Personally, I'd be happy if someone would help me out like that.
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Some people can be so dense and un-self-aware. (is that a word?)

I would've gotten your 'drift' from these phrases-

"this will be a lot more reliable unit. The frame is more solid, and the motor is a lot stronger... so not only will you get a smoother workout, you'll get a quieter workout as well."
            "notice how it kind of bogs down the bigger motor on the NordicTrack wouldn't do that. The quality of your workout will be greatly improved."

You found such a diplomatic way to handle a difficult issue, and if the woman had been more self-aware and willing to get past the 'they're only out to get my money' frame of mind, maybe a little light-bulb would've gone on in her head and she could've saved herself some embarassment.

Comment

Quoth Fashion Lad! View Post
              And she snapped at me again claiming I was calling her fat... and I was taking advantage of the fact that she has a weight issues to line my pockets. After her ranting for about 2 minutes, (felt like 20) she said she was taking her business where she wouldn't be insulted.
              Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't your company put your commission, ahem, out of commission? If you'd mentioned that to the customer, she might have relented a bit.
              I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Quoth Spiffy McMoron View Post
                Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't your company put your commission, ahem, out of commission? If you'd mentioned that to the customer, she might have relented a bit.
                Not really. I got promoted into a supervisor/lead role. So there are still people on commission, but I'm no longer one of them.

For me though, when I deal with a customer they are the most important person in the world to me. Their happiness is probably my biggest priority. But if someone has the nerve to accuse me of being greedy or insulting when I'm just trying to be helpful, I really have no use for their business.

I'm nice about the nicest person anyone will deal with in retail, until I'm pushed too far.
                When will the fantasy end? When will the heaven begin?

Comment

You just can't win.

I'm a big guy, and had you told me that the el-cheapo treadmill didn't fit my stature the way you did Mrs. Chunksalot, I would have loved it.

Had you sold it that day, you would have dealt with her fat ass in a week when the treadmill broke. Anyone wanna bet if she did return it she would be going on about how she didn't know the product wouldn't support her?
                  This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

Quoth VicSilver View Post
                    You found such a diplomatic way to handle a difficult issue, and if the woman had been more self-aware and willing to get past the 'they're only out to get my money' frame of mind, maybe a little light-bulb would've gone on in her head and she could've saved herself some embarassment.
                    That is a very articulate response making some very good points! You should post more often!

To Fashion Lad - if you had said "Yeah sure, the $400 treadmill is just fine" she just would have been back in a week with a broken treadmill and load of blame. There's just no way that sale was going to end well no matter what you did.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth Fashion Lad! View Post
                      So there are still people on commission, but I'm no longer one of them.
                      So tachnically, you could have said that you receive no commission for upselling the treadmill--did I read that right? That might have cooled her down a bit.

But seriously, some people don't want your advice. I can think of two main examples:

1) People who would put the cheapest (car) tire on their pickup, and then use the pickup as God intended it to be used: hauling, towing, etc. I was always afraid that a tire would burst under the pressure--trucks need truck tires!

2) Guys buying cheap hockey shin guards when they admitted to me that they were defencemen and tended to block shots--alot. Again, that's a task I would not want to do when protected by lower quality equipment.
                      I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Quoth Spiffy McMoron View Post
                        2) Guys buying cheap hockey shin guards when they admitted to me that they were defencemen and tended to block shots--alot. Again, that's a task I would not want to do when protected by lower quality equipment.
                        And if they're insane, they also pick up cheap athletic cups, too.

Comment

There are always times to spend more money for better stuff.

A mouthpiece (the sport thing that protects your teeth and jaw, and can help reduce chance of concussion) usually doesnt need to be all that expensive.

A cup on the otherhand... well, ill spend more money for a better fitting cup.
                          Id rather lose a tooth, then a nut.

(Ironic that i am typing this while Gurn made his post. :grin: )
                          http://www.vilecity.com/index.php?r=221271
                          Cyberpunk mayhem!

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
                            That is a very articulate response making some very good points! You should post more often!
                            Scarily enough, I have been a member of Customers Suck boards since like 1997 ...or some time around that... when I got my current job 4 years ago, I had to really scale back on posting here due to HIPAA laws, and the fact that I'm now in a high management position for my company- those two facts just make me wary, ya know?
                            I still jump in on occasion, mostly I'm a lurker. However, thanks!

Comment

Look at the bright side, when she hurts herself because she bought the $400 model elsewhere (and it collapsed / broke), she won't sue your store or you.
                              Quote Dalesys:
                              ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Working...
                              X