The Coronavirus Panic Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoth greek_jester View Post
    Just been told that as of 1st April I will be on furlough at 80% of my pay for at least a month. Not too bothered as 80% of my pay will cover my monthly bills, particularly since I won't be paying out £100/month on diesel to travel to and from work, but I've got a feeling I'll start getting stir crazy after a while.
    I wish I had been offered that. Heck, I would have taken part time until things pick back up.

Comment

• Got laid off last week due to corona - lack of work. Don't think I'll be called back. I was never a good fit with that company and the manager's Type-A personality and hyper-perfectionism made me too anxious to ask questions and prone to make stupid mistakes.

Unemployment again *sigh* Didn't I just do this two years ago?
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

• The schools here are closed until April 15th. The run on the liquor store starts....now
        My son thinks I'm Lucifer Morningstar. I'm not sure he's wrong.

Comment

• So many mom quarantine wine tweets/memes.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• Quoth YamiNoHime View Post
            The run on the liquor store starts....now
            Ours are run by the state. They closed them almost two weeks ago.
            Sometimes life is altered.
            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
            Uneasy with confrontation.
            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

• Quoth MadMike View Post
              Ours are run by the state. They closed them almost two weeks ago.
              I wonder how many illegal moonshine stills will be popping up?

I wonder if I can find that recipe for bathtub gin?

Mrs. IA's relatives made some bathtub gin back when it was fashionable. They were surprised to find their basement full of mayflies during the process.
              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• I've been emailed probably five times in ten days about making masks. (I'm a seamstress, and our store is closed for the statewide quarantine) The opinion of homemade masks among the nurses on my feed run from "better than nothing" to "We'd never use them here." But I was drafted by a well meaning person who didn't waste a lot of my time, has the elastic and a place / organization who will take the masks.

Day 13 of my isolation involved me simultaneously cutting out masks while on a conference call with the bosses while drinking a beer.

Comment

• I'm working all next week. I'm essential.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

• Quoth YamiNoHime View Post
                    The schools here are closed until April 15th. The run on the liquor store starts....now
                    Ours are closed until the 24th, but it's more or less certain that they're going to wind up canceling the rest of the school year. I understand that quite a few school districts have been sending assignments home to do electronically, and some of them are going to be streaming classes next week.

My sister is furloughed from her service industry job, but her boys (6 and 5) are getting free lunches paid for by Microsoft, so at least they're not going hungry.

My half-sister, who's in the Army and is stationed in Germany, says the base is pretty much shut down and they're only having her work about 2 hours a day.

Life goes on at the Store. We've put lines of tape on the floor in front of the checkstands so people can stay 6 feet away from each other, and the manager is planning to install plastic cough/sneeze barriers tomorrow. It's been slowing down enough in the evenings that we don't need to constantly have someone outside to maintain a line after 7 or so.
                    Last edited by Smapti; 03-29-2020, 07:13 AM.

Comment

• My coworker's three year old is being tested for COVID. The results should be back Monday or Tuesday. Prayers/good vibes/sage burnings/etc that the results come back a true negative.
                      I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

• Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                        So just to check I did this right... at 8 o'clock tonight we were supposed to go out and give our local nurses the clap? :P

No, you're supposed to CURE the clap. But that did sound like a good Hawkeye Pierce quote.

Back to the subject at hand . . .

Governor Cooper has issued a stay at home order statewide to begin Monday at 5 pm and will last for 30 days (I think) to help flatten the curve. So that means that all non essential businesses will be closed for at least that long now . . . *sigh*

And of course, even though I planned on hibernating and not going anywhere, Mom wanted a couple of things from Wallyworld. Still busy yesterday in that place and the folks still haven't heard about Social Distancing.

At least Walgreen's has a good idea . . .they have yellow/black caution tape markers every 6 feet at the checkout area. Noticed similar at the Circle K near my work when I went in earlier to get a drink.
                        Last edited by DGoddessChardonnay; 03-29-2020, 09:14 PM.
                        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

• So this my life now:

"Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• Our liquor stores are closed to the public but we can order booze online or by calling the nearest store. They will take our order and then bring it out to our vehicle where we have to pay via debit or credit - they aren't accepting cash and they're only allowing a max of $100 so that customers can tap their card. I have to admit that I've been rather tempted to call in an order, but as I don't have a vehicle that leaves me with having to call a taxi, and that just isn't worth it for me, tbh.

So far nobody I know has been diagnosed with COVID, but a number of them are in isolation due to somebody diagnosed going to a funeral here in town...last count was something like 68 people affected/infected by the idiot who knew they had it, but didn't give a damn about anybody else. And then there's the person at the other side of the island who defied isolation orders after returning from outside of the province...last I heard is that she's been charged and sitting in jail.

I've been going slightly mad having to stay put at home. But in a way it's a good thing too, because I've been able to get to projects and chores that I've been putting off for entirely too long. Especially the chores. It sucks that our recycling pickup has been postponed for the foreseeable future, and there's no public drop off anymore at our garbage dump, but I will bide my time. At least I can still put garbage out on garbage day. By the end of all this I might finally have cleared out all the depression clutter that's accumulated over the past few years - I did manage to get at one area of accumulation and cleared it out finally. I might finally get my bedroom painted...I only bought the paint 4-5 years ago!

Comment

• Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
                              My coworker's three year old is being tested for COVID. The results should be back Monday or Tuesday. Prayers/good vibes/sage burnings/etc that the results come back a true negative.
                              Good vibes and fingers crossed everything turns out good in the end.

Things seem to have slowed down at the Grocery Store, at least for my department but still have some pretty decent hours since the store is essential to stay open. Told my boss today I don't mind being cross trained for the departments that don't have a lot of help, just in case. Getting things like TP and other such things seems to be a hit or miss, or every other day I work seems to have some in stock.

Someone in the mayor's or governor's office has told tourists to get out of dodge and stay out until further notice, will see how that holds out.
                              Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

• On FB, a friend posted a thing claiming that our governor was closing liquor stores starting March 30. The link seemed suspicious, and I knew it wasn't true because I actually read the Stay at Home order. So I clicked through and the website says "You got pranked!" WTF is wrong with people? I reported it to FB as fake news, but I didn't want to get in an argument on my friend's FB wall, so I didn't say anything to her about not sharing misleading headlines.
                                "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                                -Mira Furlan

Comment

Working...
                                X