The Coronavirus Panic Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
    Yesterday I get a surprise notification from unemployment....fraud investigation. WTF?
    Yipes! Updates requested plz.

Comment

• The only information that they seemed concerned with was the $100/week "continuance pay" that the store stopped awhile ago (it only lasted 3 weeks). I got a questionnaire that assumed I was still getting it; Payroll classifies it as "EE Relief" UI wanted to know what that stands for and I have no idea.

When I originally applied I noted this "continuance/retention pay" which UI informed me was not to be considered wages (despite what we were told by manglement). I did report the $100 for each week I got it; on the third week when they decided to stop those payments there was a glitch which resulted in it being issued, then not; that pay stub had +100 and then -100 on the same stub--I didn't actually get anything, so I didn't report that. There was also a period where I couldn't get into the payroll system at all to check anything.

ETA: What in the hell...they're saying that "EE Relief" is an "additional undisclosed employer". That's not a company name you jackasses, [MyCompany]'s logo is still on those pay stubs. All I can do (and did) is resubmit the same pay stubs I already have...and print out everything UI online is showing me.
      Last edited by Dreamstalker; 04-26-2020, 06:18 PM.
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• On last night's delivery, we wound up with several pallets of 7-lb cans of corn, green beans, and peas. I assume it's stuff that was headed for the restaurant industry before they had to close down, and corporate snapped it up at a deep discount, because we're selling them for next to nothing.

It probably would've been nicer if we'd had them last month when people were panic-buying like WWIII was about to break out, but hopefully we'll be able to sell through them eventually.

Comment

• We'll take a can of peas

A few of the major distributors here are opening up ordering to the public during this. The minimum order is a few hundred dollars; I've been trying to see if we could go in with neighbors for one order of produce etc. Eggs in retail packaging are in varying short supply here.
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• My company finally got some hand sanitizer for customers to use. One pump can fill a glass. It's also rumored to smell like tequila. I don't know myself because that not my area of expertise. But once people pump it on their hands ---> That's the expression they make. Our DM said that it's probably going to be recalled and replaced with something less pungent.
            I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

• Quoth Trixie View Post
              It's also rumored to smell like tequila.
              Are people trying to lick their hands dry after smelling tequila?
              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• Quoth Trixie View Post
                My company finally got some hand sanitizer for customers to use. One pump can fill a glass. It's also rumored to smell like tequila. I don't know myself because that not my area of expertise. But once people pump it on their hands ---> That's the expression they make. Our DM said that it's probably going to be recalled and replaced with something less pungent.
                I wish ours smelt like that!

Because we're linked to a university, our pharmacy has been combining with some of the folks in the bioscience faculties to make our own hand sanitizer. It works great, except that both my coworker and I think it smells like white vinegar.

Comment

• Quoth Smapti View Post
                  On last night's delivery, we wound up with several pallets of 7-lb cans of corn, green beans, and peas. I assume it's stuff that was headed for the restaurant industry before they had to close down, and corporate snapped it up at a deep discount, because we're selling them for next to nothing.

It probably would've been nicer if we'd had them last month when people were panic-buying like WWIII was about to break out, but hopefully we'll be able to sell through them eventually.

New campaign slogan for the store :

'GIVE PEAS A CHANCE'
                  The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

• Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                    A few of the major distributors here are opening up ordering to the public during this.
                    A smaller local distro is doing this in the next town over. Minimum size appears to be a flat/case of produce, but order it and they'll have it ready for no-contact curbside pickup when you drive in. Great if you need ten pounds of tomatoes or bananas So, wisely, families are working together to make big orders they can split up.
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

• Well, today is the day I order for my restaurant, and I'm very worried about the price of beef. Hoping the price isn't going to be bad, but worried as hell, because the last order it had jumped $1 a pound from the previous order.

This has got to end soon, that's all I will say, lest I go into a very long rant.
                      "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

• My bank is doing loan deferrals (move a payment to the end of the loan) on a case-by-case basis for customer impacted by COVID-19. But we're being encouraged to collect accrued interest for these customers. The thing is, for a lot of borrowers, the interest is 2/3 or more of their monthly payment. I get from the bank's point of view, they're looking at the borrower's next two payments going entirely to interest if the borrower doesn't pay the accrued interest, but from the customer's point of view, they're not really saving much.
                        "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                        -Mira Furlan

Comment

• I feel you. I'm in collections full time. Most of the time people are nice and willing to pay but I have one guy who is ordering me around via voicemail and email when his contract is in arrears. I feel sorry for the employees under him. My headache came back.
                          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• My last trip to the grocery store, I saw a pallet full of what I thought was bottles of vodka.

Further inspection revealed the bottles contained hand sanitizer, made by a local distillery, unfortunately packaged to resemble drinkable alcohol.

I did not buy any. I already have plenty of hand sanitizer.
                            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

• Quoth LadyofArc View Post
                              I wish ours smelt like that!
                              I dunno but it smells pretty nasty and it doesn't really seem to be going over very well. Also doesn't help that the pump gives people a very liberal dose of the stuff so much that it leave a bit on the floor when people are done. Probably the cleanest spot in the place.

A local distillery in my town was making sanitizer, too. Had a guy who actually got some and said it smelled like vodka. He stopped using it. I guess it's nice they tried to do something but not sure it's the best idea.

The stay at home order lifts in my state on Friday. Rumor has it our store hours will be back to normal not long after. I loved not being awake and out of the house for 7 am or coming home after 11 pm. There are some parts of "normal" I don't want back.
                              I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

• Our city and state officials are going to mandate (I suspect) all customer -facing employees to be masked. I"m experiencing vague irritation with my store manager, who is absolutely freaked at the thought of breathing the same air as her employees. (Most of her employees. One has moved in with her and her spouse for the quarantine) Not sure how we're supposed to eat lunch. We don't have a cafeteria, it's just the store and the back room.

I'm a seamstress, so I'm going to lobby for picking up the alterations and working from home. Since evidently I'm classified as part of the great unwashed, I could probably even arrange to pick it up when she isn't there.

Comment

Working...
                                X