The Coronavirus Panic Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoth Kittykat View Post
    Why not just wear the mask? Honest question, not being sarcastic.
    The one time I tried at work, I almost passed out. It was only the 2nd time in my life that it happened to me (1st was when I injured my knee as a teen). Feeling dizzy and seeing black is not a fun thing to experience.

It also brings me back to when I was robbed last year at work. Every time I have someone come through my door with one on in the back of my mind I wonder if I going to get robbed again.

So, never again.

EDIT:

There's also political and scientific reasons, but I can not, and will not go into them here, so as to stay on the good side of our MOD/ADMIN team. I'm already enough of an outlaw.
    Last edited by Victory Sabre; 07-24-2020, 05:40 PM.
    "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

• Quoth greek_jester View Post
      It's because you can reason logically with most kids age 10 and over, but under that is hit and miss. Think about how much fun parents have trying to get younger kids to keep their shoes/socks/clothes on, then add to that a mask... *shudders*
      Understood, and yet I have seen children who are well under 10 wearing masks.
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• Here the CDC says kids under 2 shouldn't wear them. I doubt it has anything to do with reasoning with kids, after all, if you used that logic then seatbelts wouldn't be required because they don't understand, and some kids fight them just like some kids fight wearing shoes. That being said, I tend to go shopping early in the morning and haven't found young children to be that problematic. I saw a whole family down to the smallest kids (maybe four or five year olds) wearing masks, but saw some grown people with noses out.

The thing that's been bugging me as I've crept out to do some non-essential shopping, is that people have indeed started to feel that wearing masks means they can stand super close to me. That's been something I've seen online for a while now, but hadn't seen it here until recently. At the thrift store there were some groups of shoppers (college age looking) that crowded down clothing aisles like a mob, and some older women who thought they needed to look right over my shoulder in the housewares. Everyone was in masks, as is the rule, but BACK OFF. On the plus side, I saved money because I grabbed the first things I saw and left as soon as possible.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

• People masked and non-masked sometimes stand too close to me. By people I mean customers. But the ratio of mask to non-mask is getting better because several stores now require them, including our competition which I went to today. My shop doesn't but since people assume they need one, they wear it for the most part. I told my manager that I hope it's not an issue that non-masked customers are not going to get the best service because I am actively staying away from them. She's fine with that. Our attentiveness has gone down a bit anyway because frankly, we won't exist in two months. The company is going out of business and it's liquidation. It's not going to be business as usual.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
            ...I'm already enough of an outlaw.
            Aww, piffle.

*shouts to someone in the back* 86 the boiling oil! VS is playing it cool!....Whaddya mean, 'It's already hot?!?' ... I dunno, find something to fry!

*ahem* Announcing the first annual CS Virtual Fish Fry...
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

• I knew one of my co-workers was out sick while the other one was out with covid. I wasn't overly concerned because there are some things going around here that aren't. I talked to the second co-worker today and yes, we have had two cases in our store.
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• I did talk to C--one of our non-[company's preferred ethnicity] managers--about the September sale, and he said it was going ahead and they're just waiting on signage and the product list. C said specifically "We literally cannot pull this sale off without you guys". Him and I are the only two people who have worked every single sale; he knows I don't need babysitting, just fill me with coffee and press start. He wants us back, and I think he's well fed up with D3's antics. Usually we start getting shipments for this sale in mid-August, so fingers crossed.
                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• Quoth Pixelated View Post
                  Understood, and yet I have seen children who are well under 10 wearing masks.
                  Hopefully none under 2; see here for further details. I believe the last point can be added to why they put an age limit of 10 on mandatory mask wearing.
                  "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

• Quoth EricKei View Post
                    Aww, piffle.

*shouts to someone in the back* 86 the boiling oil! VS is playing is cool!....Whaddya mean, 'It's already hot?!?' ... I dunno, find something to fry!

*ahem* Announcing the first annual CS Virtual Fish Fry...

My freezer is pretty full of fish right now, so I'll gladly contribute.

Took a road trip with some friends to Fargo yesterday, and had a lot of fun, and there were some cute waitresses at Wild Bill's. Food was amazing as well.

Too bad Flatland Brewing is going out of business, I've always enjoyed my stops this year, and they produce amazing beer. The rent for the space was just too damn much for them to make it. Met up with some other friends there who were coming back to MN from western ND where they were picking up their new puppy - Rocket - just the cutest White Lab around, and he's going to fit in, because he likes beer.

The only bad part was crossing the Red River back into Minnesota. None of us were happy about that. We were bitching about it the whole rest of the drive home.

EDIT:
                    The part about me being an outlaw is actually true. I am supposed to wear a face shield here at work. We ordered one online 2 weeks ago. It STILL hasn't shown up yet, and tracking has been stuck on it for over a week. My friends tried to find one for me around town this morning, to correct this issue, with no luck at all.

So, until it comes, I'm an actual outlaw, and could face jail time because of it.
                    Last edited by Victory Sabre; 07-27-2020, 05:47 PM.
                    "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

• Cases are ticking up here, mainly due to idiots going to the beaches/on booze cruises.

Comment

• Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
                        The part about me being an outlaw is actually true. I am supposed to wear a face shield here at work. We ordered one online 2 weeks ago. It STILL hasn't shown up yet, and tracking has been stuck on it for over a week. My friends tried to find one for me around town this morning, to correct this issue, with no luck at all.

So, until it comes, I'm an actual outlaw, and could face jail time because of it.
                        I get mine from Amazon. Not exactly professional grade, but satisfies store staffs, bus drivers, and management at work (we're required to wear face coverings when away from desk unless in the break room eating).
                        "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

• Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                          Cases are ticking up here
                          We're definitely seeing an uptick here too. I've seen more probable cases at work in the last week than I'd seen for a month. The one yesterday was particularly egregious. To simplify cleaning there's one room in the ER that's dedicated for covid patients. A patient came in yesterday with covid symptoms, wasn't in that room initially, got moved after a coworker had already done a chest x-ray. A chest x-ray that showed the typical glass opacities consistent with covid. Since the patient wasn't in isolation precautions, that coworker didn't know to gown up and has now been exposed. Hopefully the masks are enough to keep him from getting sick.
                          I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

• Quoth Seanette View Post
                            I get mine from Amazon. Not exactly professional grade, but satisfies store staffs, bus drivers, and management at work (we're required to wear face coverings when away from desk unless in the break room eating).
                            We did order another one from a different company yesterday. Now, as long as it doesn't find a post office black hole, like the last one did, it should be here Friday.

Comment

• I'm now seeing ads online for masks with built-in face shields..which would be great except the cloth masks themselves have that exhalation valve which negates the point of the masks entirely.

Comment

• Coworker came bursting into the breakroom yesterday while I was at lunch to inform me that a customer who insisted she already had covid and didn't have to wear a mask came in to get a prescription for...the same illness she already said she had. She was wearing mask this time. Then she came back in to get some other stuff and I rang her up. Everything was cleaned up after she was gone and I washed my hands. I probably wasn't anymore exposed than the countless people I've rung up who had it and didn't know or didn't mention it.

The whole thing that gets me was her whole attitude about how she was already sick, she tested positive for the antibodies so she was in the clear and didn't have to wear a mask and she should have a button proclaiming that knowledge. And while I wish her a full and speedy recovery...I don't like her. She was annoying before any of this started.

Maybe my annoyance is misdirected at this woman but the last couple of weeks at work have just been stressful between a crazy customer and a coworker. Next week I'm filling it at another store and I'm looking forward to the change of scenery.
                                I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Working...
                                X