Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volunteer work is great for experience, and can be more fulfilling than a lot of jobs.

Plus, it tends to look really good on a resume.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Estil View Post
      My wife says I'm just "making excuses" but there are simply NO college level jobs where I live.
      Look around nationally, and see if there are any openings that you're a great choice for that will (at least help) pay moving expenses. Depending on your field, you might just land something tasty.
      ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
      And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth Estil View Post
        I have applied to a few places and even where I meet ALL the qualifications to the tee, I don't even get so much as an interview.
        It can also help to have a job (any job) to get a job. Sounds silly I know, but it proves that you are employable, and can get a reference.

OTOH, my wife also says that I shouldn't be too discouraged if I haven't found my "nitch" career wise at my age (27).
        Heck, yes. You'll probably only decide on your chosen career after you've tried out different things and worked doing several things.
        "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post

Heck, yes. You'll probably only decide on your chosen career after you've tried out different things and worked doing several things.
          I've done retail, voluntary work in a hospital, been an admin officer in the civil service, been a flight attendant and now I have a temp job till Decemeber as a HR officer in the medical staffing office at the hospital. I still have no idea what I want to do with my life but at least I'm trying lots of stuff!
          No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

Quoth Noelegy View Post
            I know Excel, and I'd learn Access if I thought it'd do me any good (I have a book on it)
            A smattering of Access is a good thing to know, some things that are do-able but tricky in Excel are made a lot easier in a Database. Plus any office software that you can claim proficiency in is a bonus on the resume
            Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Like a lot of young, college educated folk, I too, can NOT find a decent job in my field. So I definitely know how you feel. So many times I've wanted to just quit my regular job... just up and quit, but it pays the bills, you know?

I have two degrees. I've tried the internal route. But no luck... I can't even get an interview, and yet I see them giving jobs left and right to people who didn't even go to college.

Now, I am seriously contemplating going into business for myself. I'm just so afraid that I will end up not liking it... and I'll have to change careers, again.

Quoth PrincessKatieAirHostess View Post
              I've done retail, voluntary work in a hospital, been an admin officer in the civil service, been a flight attendant and now I have a temp job till Decemeber as a HR officer in the medical staffing office at the hospital. I still have no idea what I want to do with my life but at least I'm trying lots of stuff!
              Good, because I was starting to think it was just me

Comment

Working...
              X