Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friday the 13th got transplanted to Saturday the 14th

So ... today.

1) Set out for work. Got a couple of blocks away on the road running along the river and found traffic ground to a halt, in both directions, despite green lights. WTF?

Then I see it. Or rather, them.

At least thirty Canada Geese were waddling slowwwwly across a four-lane road. With a couple of them every so often turning around as if they were contemplating returning to whence they cometh.

FINALLY they all get across. You know, given how crappy drivers here can be, it never fails to amaze me how none of them simply put the pedal to the metal and leave some gooey streaks of gore and feathers on the road.

2) Get to work. Some batshit crazy is screaming at one of our packers in the parking lot. I'm pretty sure you can hear him on the OTHER side of the parking lot (and it's a very big parking lot, encompassing not only my store but several other sizeable ones as well). The packer was trying to explain something and Sir Batshit just kept screaming "WHY DON'T YOU MIND YOUR OWN FUCKING BUSINESS? WHY DON'T YOU MIND YOUR OWN FUCKING BUSINESS??" over and over like the proverbial broken record.

Then an incoming customer decided to join the fun, turning around to yell "HEY, WHY DON'T YOU GO BACK TO THE WEST END?! YOU DON'T BELONG HERE!!" (The west end of My Hometown has, shall we say, a rather dubious reputation. And no, it's not because *I* live there ....)

The packer later explained that Sir Batshit was triggered by our new security system, which causes shopping carts to trip an alarm at the doors if the cart has not been run through a staffed register before the shopper tries to leave the store. (If the register has no cashier/other staff member standing behind the register, the system won't disable the alarm. No idea how this works.)

Sir B. decided this made him feel as though we regarded him as a thief and thus he went off like a rocket.

3) Me to one customer: "You know, first thing I'm gonna do when I get home is take a pair of scissors and trim my bangs." (Yes, my hairdresser will hate me.)

Me to next customer: "Do you need any bangs ... I mean BAGS ... today ...."

4) Supervisor calls me up on the register phone to ask ... would I like to extend my four-hour shift to an eight-hour one.

NOOOOOO ....

It didn't occur to me until too late to say "No, but I will stay an extra hour or two."

Oddly, though, they went from one cashier to another asking each one if they would stay an extra hour or two ... but never came around to ask me. I guess my NOOOOOO sounded a bit too final.

And right now ... either somebody has decided to play with quite a lot of fireworks for no particular reason ... or dammit, Prime Minister Trudeau, we TOLD you to build that wall!!
    Last edited by Pixelated; 08-15-2021, 01:23 AM.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

(The west end of My Hometown has, shall we say, a rather dubious reputation. And no, it's not because *I* live there ....)
    Mm hmm.
    ...But don't worry. We'll vouch for ya if anyone asks.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
      Mm hmm.
      ...But don't worry. We'll vouch for ya if anyone asks.
      Will you help hide the body too?

Comment

I saw the video.

And the other video.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Arcus View Post
          Will you help hide the body too?
          i know enough pig farmers that it wont be a problem.....
          This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
          my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

when i first got my license i was driving to another dmv because the small town one i took my test at didn't actually print licenses and there were some geese crossing the road.. i missed them but a truck coming the other direction hit them and it literally looked like several pillows exploded.. i'd never seen anything like it.. was sad but kinda funny to me at the time.

Comment

Working...
            X