There's a trucker shortage, you say?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's a trucker shortage, you say?

Must be, if we have geniuses like these piloting 18-wheelers.

Pop quiz!

You are delivering a load of plastic material to Pit of Insufficient Light Manufacturing, and will be arriving there after hours. You arrive after dark and are unsure where to pull in to be unloaded, Do you

A). Look for the sign indicating receiving is at the back of the building, with an arrow guiding you there, and pull into the dock to be unloaded,

B). Get out of your truck and look for said sign, or pull out your cell phone (you're a truck driver, you do have one right?), look up the telephone number, call and tell somebody you've arrived and are unsure where to go, or

C). Waste an untold amount of time leaning on your horn while your co-pilot bangs on the front door (which leads to the offices...which are darkened and vacant) until somebody goes outside for a smoke break, sees you and tells you where to pull in?
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Uh... I'ma go with:

D). Give up, unload the load just in the middle of the lot, deciding to operate on trust that no one will steal it, it won't get damaged, and that the recipient will be capable of getting it into the building when someone finally notices it.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Most drivers I've met were good guys. Then there are a few that only have a job because they are able to keep the truck from sliding off the side of the road and are able to fill out the required daily drivers log book. (this story video is about such drivers and the poor people that were forced to ride with them Kevin In A Big Rig - Complete )
      Last edited by Arcus; 10-08-2021, 12:49 AM.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
        Uh... I'ma go with:

D). Give up, unload the load just in the middle of the lot, deciding to operate on trust that no one will steal it, it won't get damaged, and that the recipient will be capable of getting it into the building when someone finally notices it.
        Nah, option D is just drop the trailer in the middle of the drive. Actual unloading would be a lot of physical work. You really think the brain trust above would be willing to put in that much actual effort?
        You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Ad in local paper-
          "get your CDL in 4 weeks"

and here you go

When I ret from the Navy Sooooooooooooooooo many places were and still are pushing hard for us to get into trucking. Thankfully my hate of my waste of a dad who was in trucking to not do anything he did kept me away from it. Both to know what a PITA it is and cause he was.
          AkaiKitsune
          Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Trucking *IS* a good place for a few personality types. There are some who are only good in 'polite company' for maybe 15 minutes, which is just PERFECT for a long hauler. Long periods of nobody to irritate but other like-minded drivers, and a brief 'social' period at the delivery/pickup, then back out on the road.

Comment

Keep in mind, this person drove a ways, possibly halfway or more across the country, with NO IDEA OF WHAT TO DO WHEN THEY GOT THERE.

I know what I'm going to do when I get to the corner gas station... and that's only a quarter mile, what's HIS excuse?
              - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Word is that there are plans (in some areas) to train new high school grads as CDL-licensed drivers. I can see absolutely no way that such a plan would fail.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                X