This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job Hunt Part: ∞

So I decided since my last thread specifically mentioned Radio Shack, and thats long gone (came to my senses) I would make a new thread. Pretty much my DEFINITIVE Job Hunt thread, note the Infinity symbol. That will keep me from making any more, as I'm sure the Devs will be giving me the stink eye soon.

So, from the last update you know that I applied at Barnes and Noble, and with BookstoreEscapee getting my foot in the door was able to get an interview (wether or not I got one without BookstoreEscapee's help does not matter, I can't help but being thankful! )

So I thought the interview was BRILLIANT! (Quiet, I've been watching alot of Doctor Who) and thought the Interviewer thought that as well. She said everything was great, and that all she needed to do was check my references.

It's been more than a week. The past THREE days I called and asked for the hireing manager, who wasn't there. The second day I called, asked for the same, and was aksed who interviewed me (which meant I coulda just asked for THAT person the day before... ). She wasn't there, and the hireing manager told me she was probibly checking my references, and I should call tommorow.

Today I called, and got her. She said she was checking references, and would call me when she was finished, I thanked her, and that was that...

I have TWO references (only two spaces on the application), the two people are close friends, they say they haven't been called. It's been over a week! I am trying to give her the benefit of the doubt... But... I'm starting to lose hope here.

Is it standard procedure to make someone wait over a week?
    "How bloody difficult is it to take care of a DVD?"
    ~Me after any time I look at the back of a disc~

OMG - don't work for B&N!!!! Are you applying in East Brunswick or North Brunswick?
    If you are thinking to yourself, "Hmmm, should I post this?" it should probably go HERE.

Comment

Er um... East Brunswick...

I know I know... Thats right there with the Mall... But it's the only place I'm even close to being hired to, and most of the Mall dips are afraid of the written word. All I'll have to deal with is rabid anime preteens.

....I hope.

Why? Why shouldn't I work for B&N, did BookStoreEscapee not tell me something?!

Comment

Don't forget that your work history is part pf your references as well, Wil-Mun. The personal references are, really, just to prove you know two people you think are willing to vouch for your character, but they get serious about talking to bosses.

My says the delay is because one of your previous jobs is dragging their feet in handing over the relevant information.
        ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
        And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Well thats great since Mega Movies probibly hates me or just doesn't remember me... The whole argument we had before I quit (they say they fired me, BS), my Manager in Radio Shack was transfered to a new store... And Gamestop...

Well... Gamestops fine.

Though I did hear it was against the law to say anything bad about someone if another place of employment calls for a reference. All you're allowed to say is "I have nothing to say."

But still, with my old manager in a different store, and Mega Movies being as profesional as a drunk clown... They may indeed be dragging their feet.

Comment

Quoth Will-Mun View Post
            Though I did hear it was against the law to say anything bad about someone if another place of employment calls for a reference. All you're allowed to say is "I have nothing to say."
            AFAIK, that's not against the law, just most places' policy, as if you can prove that reference was the reason you didn't get the job, and there is no basis for a bad reference, then it's slander, and you can sue for lost wages. And even if they CAN prove it, it's often not worth the bother. However, tone of voice says it all. "Oh, him. Yeah, he 'worked' here." Or "Who? Huh, lemme check my records. Oh yeah, he was in my review group, quit last month." (Manager doesn't remember someone he was responsible for reviewing who was there a month ago? Not a good sign.) But none of that is directly attributable as a bad reference. My managers at my first theatre talked about that all the time. "We're not allowed to say anything if asked. But it's all in how you phrase it."
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Will-Mun View Post
              It's not against the law. But there have been some lawsuits over references that later employers disagreed with... and since there's no law saying that a place has to give references, most corporations err on the side of extreme caution. There's nothing in it for the to give the reference, after all, other than possibly losing a current employee (when applicable).

If it's been a week, give them another call, or stop in personally. It's been enough time that they can't blame you for bugging them, so it can't hurt... and might possibly prod someone into action that they've been putting off.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                AFAIK, that's not against the law, just most places' policy, as if you can prove that reference was the reason you didn't get the job, and there is no basis for a bad reference, then it's slander, and you can sue for lost wages. And even if they CAN prove it, it's often not worth the bother. However, tone of voice says it all. "Oh, him. Yeah, he 'worked' here." Or "Who? Huh, lemme check my records. Oh yeah, he was in my review group, quit last month." (Manager doesn't remember someone he was responsible for reviewing who was there a month ago? Not a good sign.) But none of that is directly attributable as a bad reference. My managers at my first theatre talked about that all the time. "We're not allowed to say anything if asked. But it's all in how you phrase it."
                Actually, in Ontario at least, it *is* against the law.
                GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Ah, the waiting game.

Its so much fun, isn't it?

I'm "playing" the waiting game right now. I applied to transfer hospitals and go work in the call center that serves all three hospitals that constitute The Ottawa Hospital... so far though, I've just been waiting.

Its been nearly two weeks since I gave them my resume. I called various times... never managed to reach the supervisor... I have a friend who used to work as a dietary clerk with me who works there now, so she was able to talk on my behalf... found out that somehow human ressources rejected my resume because they said I didn't have a year's worth of office experience even though it is clearly written on my resume that I do have it...

Today I called the guy in charge of checking the resumes and he says he's looking into it and they have to call my supervisors to check and make sure that what the experience I say I have is the truth... somehow I have a feeling that i'm gonna be playing the waiting game for at least another week, maybe two.

But hey, they say patience is a virtue... so i'm just gonna sit tight and wait to see what happens...

Hope you get an answer soon
                  A few definitions:
                  Beauty: What a woman has when she looks the same after washing her face. (Hal Roach)
                  Humanity: A work in progress. (Tennessee Williams).

Comment

WOO!!! Dude, do you live in Ottawa? I'm in Hull!!!! Sweet!
                    GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAH!

GOD DAMN IT ALL! -Chucks a chair into the wall-

Rejection letter, JUST like from Best Buy! These fuckers make me wait for nearly TWO weeks and then send me a god damn POST CARD telling me to fuck off?

I am so uber omega not even JOKING pissed right now. The woman there TOLD me there was a position opened, they have the Harry Potter release in less than a month they are gonna be AMBUSHED. And they don't need any extra hands? This is just insulting!

I have no clue what I'm gonna do now! I am not at the end of my rope... I'M OUT OF ROPE. I have applied to every retail outlet in a ten mile radius and NOTHING. It's infuriating to be unable to find a job ANYWHERE.

I just... don't know what to do...

Comment

Sorry to hear that. Wish there was something I could do.

I don't know what your local area's like, but have you considered trying non-retail jobs?

Comment

Hit a temp agency. That's all I can really suggest.
                          ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                          And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
                            WOO!!! Dude, do you live in Ottawa? I'm in Hull!!!! Sweet!
                            Yeah, I live in Ottawa
                            I was thinking of moving to Hull since its cheaper, but then I also decided to get a roommate and she didn't want to live that far away from our work (we work together).

And to Will-Mun
                            I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get the job
                            A few definitions:
                            Beauty: What a woman has when she looks the same after washing her face. (Hal Roach)
                            Humanity: A work in progress. (Tennessee Williams).

Comment

Restaurants and bars are always hiring. Just a thought.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                              Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                              X