This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am exhausted!

This all started on Monday...Somebody at another store quit. My Mgr is a friend of that mgr. I was sched to work Monday at 4pm. My phone rang at 0815, I was sound asleep, answered without checking caller ID. It was my Mgr, asked if I could go to the other store ASAP and work, then do my regular shift....I went to other store at 1000, left there at 4.30p, worked till 12.30a at mine. THEN, she re-did the schedule. I had to work at the other store mid-8am Tues, then my reg shift at 4pm-mid on the 4th, Wed. I have had maybe 4 hours of sleep in 3 days. Have to work mid-8 at other place tonight too. I am supposed to be off Fri., they better not even try and call me. And I'm supposed to work 8am-4pm Sat. Can you say screwed up body clock????? I'm dragging right now but I have to try and stay up as long as I can for that mid shift. I don't mind helping out in a crisis, but jeez...Only good thing about any of this is I got 2 shifts of holiday pay for the 4th, and puts me into overtime. But I'm going to tell my Mgr not to ever do this to me again. Only me and one other person are working the other place from my store, the others refused. I'm sure that will be remembered. And tonight, one of our mid people called in sick, go figure. There was NO WAY I could stay. I could barely walk or keep my eyes open. We aren't supposed to do doubles, but Mgr never answered her phone or called back, so my partner is staying til 4am when one person we got in touch with is coming in. I really hope this ends soon.
    USN Retired

That's when you turn off the lights, lock the doors and go home.
    It's not your responsibility to keep the place running. The manager is supposed to pick up the slack, when all else fails.
    Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Wow. That sucks. What good is overtime money if you're waaaaaaaaaaaaay too tired to spend it?

I would recommend Monster energy drinks. I had two shots worth of it a couple of weeks ago, and I was bouncing off the walls. I wonder what a whole can would do?
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
        I would recommend Monster energy drinks. I had two shots worth of it a couple of weeks ago, and I was bouncing off the walls. I wonder what a whole can would do?
        If 2 shots had you bouncing off the walls, a whole can would likely make your heart explode. I wouldn't recommend trying it.
        The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

I like to work extra jobs. If I"m working, i can't spend the money that I'm earning, plus I make even more. Works out in the end.

But what you're being asked to do is just insane. Good luck to you.
          Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
          Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
          The Office

Comment

From what I understand, most places have laws about how much time you're supposed to be allowed to have for sleep between shifts.

Working hours like that is just plain unhealthy. Nekojin can tell you about what happens when you try to drive while tired. He's got a nice scar across his nose from his experience, and that was getting off extremely lucky.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

The manager is supposed to pick up the slack, when all else fails.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I know this.....but she never answered her phone or called back. It was a holiday, remember? The new sched is out today for next week, need to go see if I'm working the other store again. We can't just lock up and go home either.....open 24-7. Major chain conv. store.
              USN Retired

Comment

Quoth Banrion View Post
                If 2 shots had you bouncing off the walls, a whole can would likely make your heart explode. I wouldn't recommend trying it.
                I wouldn't dare.

If they came in resealable bottles, as opposed to cans, that would be nice. I could take a sip here and there without worrying about it going flat and whatnot.
                Unseen but seeing
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                  I wouldn't dare.

If they came in resealable bottles, as opposed to cans, that would be nice. I could take a sip here and there without worrying about it going flat and whatnot.
                  They're actually pretty low-powered as far as En-O-Ge drinks go, so that's why they're in cans. If you can find NOS (yes, same company that makes the rocket-juice for cars) in a bottle, that's good stuff. High kick, no crash, and it's got a screw-on top. Other than that, stick to the 1/2-size ones like Sobe Adrenaline Rush and *shudder* Red Bull.
                  ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                  And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
                    They're actually pretty low-powered as far as En-O-Ge drinks go, so that's why they're in cans. If you can find NOS (yes, same company that makes the rocket-juice for cars) in a bottle, that's good stuff. High kick, no crash, and it's got a screw-on top. Other than that, stick to the 1/2-size ones like Sobe Adrenaline Rush and *shudder* Red Bull.
                    I'm afraid to try any of those things. Some mornings a Coke is enough to get me shaking...though I've had it every morning and at lunch (had to switch to Diet cuz it was becoming a habit) for the last few weeks so I might be building up a tolerance...just a matter of time before I have to go for the hard stuff...
                    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth stickycoins View Post
                      And tonight, one of our mid people called in sick, go figure. There was NO WAY I could stay. I could barely walk or keep my eyes open. We aren't supposed to do doubles, but Mgr never answered her phone or called back, so my partner is staying til 4am when one person we got in touch with is coming in. I really hope this ends soon.
                      Quoth stickycoins View Post
                      We can't just lock up and go home either.....open 24-7. Major chain conv. store.
                      What would've happened if neither of you could stay? It sucks that the Mgr seemed to be ducking the calls. It would've served her right if you two had just locked up and left. No body should have to work so many hours without enough sleep. That can be dangerous.

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
                        Eh. I'm not really big on energy drinks and whatnot. I sampled them because...well, free samples.

I don't drink coffee, Mountain Dew makes me tired, Code Red is good, but I swear they don't sell 20 oz. bottles at my store, and the thought of anything else but Pepsi scares me. Caffiene pills have given me an accelerated heartbeat in the past, so I'm a scaredy cat now.
                        Unseen but seeing
                        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I don't drink coffee/tea, and I stick to diet soda, but I LOVE Red Bull. I'll have a can on my half-hour train ride when I'm working an overnight shift, then when I get to work I'll have a no-doze pill, then another pill on my break maybe 4 hours later. When I get home in the morning, I sleep for a few hours, get up after lunch time and have another pill, then sleep as normal at night. Re-sets my body clock. But I wouldn't recommend doing this too often; I do it once every week or two.
                          Michael: Maybe you'll be inspired by the boat party tonight and start a career as a pirate.
                          Tobias: I haven't packed for that.
                          <3 Arrested Development

Comment

Wow--totally unacceptable for your manager to make you pick up her slack that way and work such an insane schedule! And not calling you back on a holiday is selfish asshole behavior of the first order. I would say document everything and if it happens again, get in touch with her supervisor or DM and let them know what's going on.

Comment

Working...
                            X