This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about self checkouts

My boyfriend and I used the Asda Walmart self checkout today.

We put a newspaper (a well respected broadsheet, not anything dirty ) through the scanner and then the checkout made a little beep sound saying 'Ask member of staff for help' and an assistant came over and asked if we were buying alcohol (no) or a newspaper? And we we over 18?

can anyone shed any light?
    No longer a flight atttendant!

I'm guessing the newspaper had to be checked out by the attendant for some reason?

With the self checkouts at my company, you have to see the attendant if you are buying an item with a security tag on it, so it can be removed or deactivated. I'm not aware of any restrictions with newspapers, because I never bought any.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

The only thing I can think of is that they had issues with people taking multiple papers or hiding things inside the papers and so now make it a "must be checked" item to reduce loss. Other than that, I got nothing.
      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth PrincessKatieAirHostess View Post

can anyone shed any light?
        Was this one that has scales in the bagging area? It may be flagged because the papers weighs a different amount each day.

Comment

I was thinking it might be the "weight" alarm as well. Usually if they can't determine the weight of the item, it is hard to tell if the person bagged it. So they prompt for assistance.

But the theory on hiding things in newspapers seems reasonable too...

Comment

Working...
          X