Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I got sick of a (stupid) policy, so I did something about it.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got sick of a (stupid) policy, so I did something about it.

First, I'll have to give a little background. My company sells what are called "Pre-owned phones". This means that a phone was returned within the normal return period (30 days) for no problem-related issues (for example, they wanted something different). We wipe out the phone, test it though our diagnostic tester (for RF performance) and do a quick test of funcationality (camera, audio, keypad etc..). If the phone looks good, we make it "pre-owned".

To make it pre-owned, this included down adjusting it as the "new" sku and up adjusting it as a pre-owned sku (in the inventory management system).

We sell the pre-owned phones at a discount (I think 50% of the full price) or we can use them as warranty exchanges.

Simple and nice process.

Well, some accountant noticed we could "save" money if the techs adjusted them into a "reconditioned" status and used that as an exchange, so instead of the system billing something like $50-$200, it bills out $0 (yet no one took to notice that we took a hit on the full price in the first place??). But, we can't stop the sales reps, so if they want to sell it as pre-owned, we need to down adjust the reconditioned sku then up adjust the pre-owned sku. Keeping count? That's 4 adjustments for a sales rep to sell the phone.

Say, even though the customer did want it, but then decided they didn't want it, I'd have to down adjust the pre-owned sku and up adjust the reconditioned sku.

Can you see where this is going? On Saturday, I did SIXTEEN adjustments on ONE phone. Can you say audit flag??

Down adjusted the NEW sku.
    Up adjusted the RECON sku.

A sales rep wanted to sell it.
    Down adjust the recon SKU
    Up adjust the pre-owned SKU.

Oops, they didn't sell it.
    Down adjust the pre-owned SKU.
    Up adjust the recon SKU.

Another sales rep wanted to sell it.

Up adjust the recon SKU.

Up adjust the recon SKU.

Up adjust the pre-owned SKU

Sure! I have nothing better to do on a very busy day then to drop everything every 15 minutes so someone can think they're about to sell a phone.

I wrote my supervisor an email. Sure, we're not on the best of terms, but she does respect me since I've been around for a very long time and I've never been one to just whine and complain without a damn good reason or backup.

But, in the complaint email, I suggested this:

We do it the old way, we make it pre-owned right away so the sales reps can do their thing, but if we're going to use it as an exchange, we'll do a second set of adjustments to make them reconditioned (which we know it won't be a futile adjustment). She notified me within 30 minutes of sending it that she would pass it along.

Even if nothing is done, or someone else tries to take credit (which will happen) at least I know I did my part to help people in my position's sanity.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

If it makes sense....
    Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
    Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
    The Office

Comment

Working...
    X