This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Heat!!!!!!!

It was 100 here today. A/C in the store might as well not be on, it can't handle the coolers, the door opening/closing non-stop. It has been 92-95(I brought in a thermometer) in there ALL WEEK. It's so bad that customers are complaining. I sweat so much that I can see and feel salt on my skin. It's miserable. I drank 2 liters of water tonight and still haven't been to the bathroom. My cheap-ass boss won't pay to have the unit fixed or upgraded to a bigger one. He's even going to add MORE coolers! We should not have to work in those conditions. I bet I lose 2 pounds a day from sweating. On top of that, bread is getting moldy, candy is melting, he's losing business. Tuesday, I did $200 less than I normally do, and tonight wasn't much better. You'd think he'd get a clue. And it's supposed to be 101 tomorrow.
    USN Retired

They don't care. Last week it was the same at my store. In spite of the air conditioning, I'm sweating with the merest bodily movements. Yuck !!! I HATE being sticky all night.

But the worst part of the hot weather for me has to be the phenomenon of customers ALL coming out at the same time LATE at night to shop just when I'm trying to close and get the fuck out of there.

They don't seem to get it. Presumably they shop there all the time so they KNOW what time the store and individual departments close. Yet at 8-9 oclock, there they are, pestering me with insipid questions and emptying my department to where I have to go and fill it AGAIN, before I can leave. Grrrrrrrrrrrr...Go home !

Comment

Yeah I know. Doesnt ANYONE have to get up early the next day to go to work anymore???? Is the unemployment rate that high???

Comment

Quoth ditchdj
        Yeah I know. Doesnt ANYONE have to get up early the next day to go to work anymore???? Is the unemployment rate that high???

I was in bed at 7:30p last night. It was too hot to think, so I just sort of passed out watching the cat play.
        The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

You think that's bad? Try working overnight in the heat when the A/C is shut off by corporate and there's no fans anywhere except in the breakroom!

One night we took the fans down from the breakroom and put one in our "smoking room" (we're allowed to smoke in the vestibule between the two sets of entrance doors) and the other went in the backroom. Even so, there was no air circulation in the backroom and it was damn near impossible to breathe back there. We didn't get much work done because we had to keep taking water breaks and sitting in front of the fan.

You would think corporate would be generous enough to keep the A/C on when it is extremely hot as it was earlier this week, but A/C costs money and it's cheaper to let the employees sweat and get cramps and pass out I guess.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh
            You think that's bad? Try working overnight in the heat when the A/C is shut off by corporate and there's no fans anywhere except in the breakroom!(
            The law firm I'm at now is one of the few that keeps the HVAC on nights and weekends.

I hated working late on a filing, major overtime, mental stress from the filing, physically running around making edits and copies and such, and then either sweating through my good clothes, or piling on sweaters as my fingers turned blue.

I know, I know, at least I wasn't dealing with SCs. That is the major thing for which I am beyond happy (most of the time).
            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
            HR believes the first person in the door
            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
            Document everything
            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Working...
            X