Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manager wouldn't let me leave work despite flooding!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manager wouldn't let me leave work despite flooding!

It took me 4 hours to get home.

The UK is in the midst of severe floods due to adverse weather and my manager wouldn't let us leave work early despite other departments and other workplaces being told too! Just got in now! Not happy.

I know the stupid woman lives miles out in the countryside so I hope it took her hours to get home!

It must be noted that no other member of staff asked me if I was ok getting home. This is despite everyone knowing how severe the weather conditions are!
    Last edited by AirHostess; 07-20-2007, 08:18 PM.
    No longer a flight atttendant!

You have my symapthies. I know how bad the flooding makes traffic after my journey to work a couple of weeks ago.
    "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

It's a nightmare isn't it? I'm in the south-west and all the roads near me are waterlogged. I feel so sorry for people with flooded homes, must be awful.
      No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

Yeah, my parents live in Swindon and my dad described rivers ofwater washing onto the road. Waterlogged roads and traffic must pale into comparison with having your house flooded.
        "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
          Yeah, my parents live in Swindon and my dad described rivers ofwater washing onto the road. Waterlogged roads and traffic must pale into comparison with having your house flooded.
          Yeah, it does. We had a foot of water in the basement on 5/7. Sewer backup, in a house that had never had more than 1/2 inch of water in its 103-year history. Cost me about $7,500 in repairs and goods all told. And not insured.

Princess, my sympathies. Flooded roads are *scary*. Glad you made it home okay.

Comment

This is why I say don't let stupid people make life or death decisions for you. Your job is not worth your life.

Unless you work in emergency services, you need to do what you need to do to make sure you are safe.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
              This is why I say don't let stupid people make life or death decisions for you. Your job is not worth your life.
              Agreed.

About a year ago during Michigan's more nastier winters I got called by Whiskeyclone to come in. I wasn't risking my neck and classes were canceled due to the snow. Told the arena that I'm not coming in as soon as they asked and hung up.
              The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

I thought it was really irresponsible of the Green-&-White place where I used to work to go ahead and open up on Dec 30 last year. They did this in spite of 2 1/2 - 3 feet of snow covering Albuquerque that had fallen since the afternoon before....streets were impassable....and the police were telling people to stay off the roads. Hell, I couldn't get my car out! Take a look at these to see what I'm talking about:
                http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times

I know it doesn't sound like a lot of snow to some of y'all, but it broke 50-year-old records here!
                It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

And this nimrod though there would be a stampede of customers coming through all that?

Comment

You have my condolences being I know what this is like. I don't know what it's like to have flooding, but I do know what it's like to have a heartless manager not allow you to leave whenever an emergency arises. When we had the hurricanes here in Florida, none of the managers had any sympathy for those who needed to go home early for preparations, and none for sympathetic toward those who needed to stay home in the aftermath to take care of the damage and their loved ones. The head honcho of Bellsouth's customer service center was quoted as saying, "Well, despite what people are saying, I can do what I want, and I say everyone needs to be here, or find another job." This abuse of power went further being she went home early and stayed home an extra day in the aftermath of it.

Comment

And this nimrod though there would be a stampede of customers coming through all that?
                      Well, of course! They'd wanna rent movies since everywhere else is closed!

Probably had a lot to do with the fact that we had to call corporate to see if we could close. Where are they you ask? Amarillo....Texas....completely unaffected by this storm! I don't think they realized just how many lawsuits they could have bought themselves.
                      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Working...
                      X