This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GameStop -- should I bother?

While I have my resume in with a staffing service, I'm also checking the papers for job listings. Today however, I saw that a GameStop is opening in our local mall. I think I can handle retail if I can at least sort of/kind of give a damn about what I'm selling. This is why I was able to sell books for three years, office supplies for five months, and ladies clothing for five weeks. I just couldn't work up a passion for printer paper and ink cartridges, nor for frumpy dresses no matter how hard I tried.

I like video games though. I'll be the first to admit.

So, does anyone have any experience working for GameStop? Should I bother applying, or is this going to be yet another retail job where you're not there to sell the product as much as you are to glom onto the customer and hector and harass them until they buy a "Preferred Gamer Card" or whatever? I cannot express how much I hated that part of the job at the bookstore, and forced upselling is the worst part of any retail job, in my opinion.

Should I bother, or am I going to be in constant fear of losing my job because I'm not willing to tie people to chairs until they buy extra crap they didn't come in for?
    Drive it like it's a county car.

From what I've heard on here, admitting that you like video games is a bad thing - managers want people who will work instead of playing on the courtesy machine. Having a knowledge of is more than acceptable, though.

Weigh it up - are you going to have the same level of income and hours? You do plenty of extra shifts due to crappy colleagues, so be prepared for an income drop. You currently have a psychotic manager at times, if I remember right - sometimes you love her, sometimes you hate her. You don't know what you're going to get, but it could be better or worse.

Rapscallion

Comment

Well, I do know that I need to get out of here, regardless of where I go. I do like video games, but I'm not obsessive, and I don't play them every day. I've had one that I need to finish that I've put off for more than a month now because I use my days off to work on my novel, indulge my photography hobby, and go have a life. I wouldn't be glued to the demo machines.

As far as making less money -- perhaps not. I have worked here for five years and in that time my pay has gone up by a dollar. The people at the staffing service were aghast when they found out what I make and how long I've been here. It's been pointed out to me lately also that I could skip this place for another hotel and start at pay a dollar higher per hour than what I make here.
      Last edited by Antisocial_Worker; 09-12-2007, 09:39 PM.
      Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Quoth hauntedheadnc View Post
        So, does anyone have any experience working for GameStop? Should I bother applying, or is this going to be yet another retail job where you're not there to sell the product as much as you are to glom onto the customer and hector and harass them until they buy a "Preferred Gamer Card" or whatever? I cannot express how much I hated that part of the job at the bookstore, and forced upselling is the worst part of any retail job, in my opinion.

Should I bother, or am I going to be in constant fear of losing my job because I'm not willing to tie people to chairs until they buy extra crap they didn't come in for?
        If you work for Gamestop, you'll be forced to sell cards and GI subscriptions nonstop. You'll be miserable. I know I was!
        "This is the first time I've seen you look ugly, and that makes me happy!"

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
          From what I've heard on here, admitting that you like video games is a bad thing - managers want people who will work instead of playing on the courtesy machine. Having a knowledge of is more than acceptable, though.
          I'll agree with that. Stress on what you know, systems, graphic requirements (for PC games), magazines, game vendors.

Also, talk about inventory management / organizational skills.

Don't ever think of it as "a job" think of it as an opprotunity to learn and expand. Sure it's a mall job but could open more doors down the road.
          Quote Dalesys:
          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

They're also pretty tight with their wages. I get paid more per hour as a sales associate for Best Buy than I would as an assistant manager at GameStop. I'm pretty good friends with one of the GameStop managers here in Naples. When I went in to apply at his store, he was pretty straightforward about that.
            "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

I worked for EB Games, which is essentially the same thing, and I personally loved it. Maybe it was just because the four of us who worked there were all hired at the same time and knew each other really well, but it was a really fun, casual atmosphere. Selling warranties and Edge cards didn't bother me, since they were a pretty good deal, and it was fun being able to chat up random customers about the games in the store.

So, yeah, I'd go for it in a heartbeat.
              Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me!

I like big bots and I cannot lie.

Comment

Saying that you looooove videogames is poison to an employer. They are inherant time wasters. (I looooove video games) One tactic to try is that you have a family member who is an avid gamer, and you therefore know more than casual knowledge would give.... but they aren't for you.

Knows games, but doesn't play them?? ZING!!! assistant manager!

Comment

Quoth Crazeyal View Post
                  Saying that you looooove videogames is poison to an employer. They are inherant time wasters. (I looooove video games) One tactic to try is that you have a family member who is an avid gamer, and you therefore know more than casual knowledge would give.... but they aren't for you.

Knows games, but doesn't play them?? ZING!!! assistant manager!
                  Not necessarily.

Saying you enjoy games, and thought you would enjoy the atmosphere, is fine, at least to me, and I'm in a related field. Saying you love games is poison. It's the degree of emphasis. Someone who enjoys games is likely to pick up on the nuances of games, find the uniqueness of each separate title, and so forth. Someone who loves games is likely to camp out on the games at every opportunity, despite customer needs and the like.

Someone who merely knows games may become affected with apathy down the road, which, while not as bad as ignoring customers in favor of machines, isn't going to help enthuse customers about new releases.

Comment

Really, your experience will vary depending on the store manager. The one I worked for was very, very strict about the store looking good, and not so much about the numbers. To the point that when we had a manager from another store come in while the SM was in Vegas for a week, the temporary manager managed to outsell everyone numbers wise. Because he came from a store where they were trained to get numbers, and the store was only straightened before closing, not constantly during the day.
                    "I call murder on that!"

Comment

I worked for Gamestop back when they were still known by their original name, Babbage's. For years, it was my dream to work there. It took about 8 years of trying to finally get them to hire me. And when they did finally hire me... well, let's just say that I have my reasons for referring to them as the Evil Empire.

I understand wanting to work at a game store because you love video games. But I found it to be a VERY cutthroat business, where the middle management will use you, and then spit you out as soon as it suits their fancy.

Mom & pop type stores are generally better, but the problem I've experienced lately is that they're going out of business left and right due to the fierce competition from Wal*Mart, Target and Gamestop.
                      "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
                      --StanFlouride

Comment

Working...
                      X