This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Jester View Post
    Raieth, you must be new here and/or to retail. Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving when retail stores have all those sales.
    Raieth's Canadian, like me. We've already had our Thanksgiving. So, technically, you mean the day after American Thanksgiving. In lieu of Black Friday, we have Boxing Day. It's like Black Friday, only it's the day after Christmas.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
      Seriously, people will trample and fight each other so they can get that cheap DVD player....
      ...only to return it the day after Christmas because the drawers won't open and their DVD's are stuck inside.

(This is what happened at my store in '04. I think every cheap DVD player we sold ended up being returned. No one seemed to know that they could open the drawers manually. It was quite comical.)

Retail Haiku:
      Depression sets in.
      The hellhole is calling me ~
      I don't want to go.

Comment

I got the job!

Wooohoooo! I got the job! AND I don't have to work Thanksgiving/Black Friday/that weekend! Hehehe! I just had to mention it during the interview and they're totally fine with it!

Probably because everyone else who was interviewing that day was dressed in ratty jeans and baggy sweat-shirts where as I was in a nice button up shirt, black dress pants, and heels. I'm sure my 6 years of dealing with customers helped too, but whatev.

I'm just happy I have a job! Yaaay!

Comment

Congrats on getting the job! What department did you get hired for?
          Just a word of warning - unless policy has changed drasticly there is a huge gap of time between closing and actually getting out of there - be prepared to stay up to several hours after close to help straighten everything out and learn to love straightening shoes - everyone ends up in that department by the end.

Comment

I'm a cashier, but I'm only working during the day, rarely during evenings (only in emergencies). They were actually extremely accommodating to me.

And if I do end up working an evening, I do realize I'll be there for at least a half hour-hour afterwards. Things were the same at the custard place I worked.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
              I've said it before, I'll say it again: I am so HAPPY I don't work in retail!
              Indeed. Where else can you work and get that kind of exercise, have time go by that fast, get stupid retail holidays off, AND have a wad of cash in your pocket at the end of the night? A lot of people ask how the hell I can do restaurant work, and I ask them how in the hell they can work retail. I get lots of SCs but I think they're bitchier in retail. Just IMHO, a lot of people disagree with me.

But congrats on the job! Hate to burst your bubble, but if you think you'll only have to stay 30 min afterward during the holiday season, you're sadly mistaken. *goes to her happy place to avoid retail memories*
              "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Comment

Well, if you got hired as a cashier, then yeah, you won't have to stay later. As for the sales floor, most Targets don't want to pay any more than they want, so they won't let you stay later than an hour and a half after closing, no matter the condition of the store. Unlike MY HORRIBLE PAINFUL MISERABLE days where we regularly stayed until 2 am cleaning and were still not done.

Some Targets are better managed I imagine.
                '
                I so hate Target. So so so hate them.

JF
                First Lesson I learned from working in a bookstore:
                People who can read are made of the same rudeness as those who cannot.

Comment

Well when I worked at Target, I applied for a full time position and was assured I was getting full time.

I looked at my schedule the first week and they had me working just 30-32 hours a week. I was able to work up to 38 hours sometimes.

Target is like all retail stores. It has a better reputation than Wal-Mart, but as someone who has worked at both places, I didn't see a difference in how managers treated employees.

Comment

how are the raises at target? I've heard they're shitty but, do you mind saying a number?

Comment

Take a shitty raise. Divide it by three. That's your Target raise.

Comment

Working...
                      X