X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oops...typo. Fixed it.
    "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
      Lady Heather, I was just saying in general 30 minutes is ridiculous, as I have seen many places give just that for longer shifts.

For a 5.5 hour shift, I don't understand why the little darlings even NEED a break, to be honest, so yeah, they don't get any sympathy from me.
      Sorry, I'm a little snippy on the subject. The kids don't seem to get that when they take long lunches, they don't get paid. They are off the clock. Come in a 1/2 hour late, you get less pay. Leave early, get less pay. Then the whining begins: "She got paid more! We have the same hours on the schedule! It's not fair."
      She showed up on time and covered for you being late all week. Also, if you are not going to show up, we will give your hours to someone who will.

End of Rant
      Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
      The following is subject to change:
      If Your Going Through Hell,
      Keep Going...

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
        I eat slow, and that is just nuts.
        He does. Extremely. And drinks slow too. I can't imagine him taking just 30 minutes to eat ANYTHING, much less getting to food, ordering, having it made, eating, AND getting back to work.

:ducks and runs away into her gated apartment before Jester kills her:
        "The things that I remember best - those are the things I wasn't supposed to do…."

I'm coming back as a Schooner Wharf Bar dog.

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
          They use temps because it saves money. No need to purchase an insurance policy and yes, they're easier to get rid of temps than direct hires.
          For some of the larger companies it's a budgeting issue as well. Money for temps gets taken from a different budget than wages
          Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

In some instances using temps makes a lot of sense. When a person is hired full-time with benefits and taxes a person that's making $10 an hour is costing you $20 an hour not to mention labor laws. A temp that's making $10 an hour is costing you $12 to $15 an hour and you can run them off for no reason because they don't work for you and they're paid thru accounts payable which (depending upon the state) is not subject to labor dept audits.
            A 25% savings on new employees is significant especially where you don't know if they're going to work out or not.
            In unskilled (no offense), repetitive, labor intensive (strong back weak minds, again no offense) jobs temps usually work out well, in skilled positions then direct hiring is usually better.
            Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

I used temp agencies extensively just to get some $$$ when I was unemployed. My thought was money is money, and especially when you're on UE you have to show you're looking. But I never, never, never said ANY of the boneheaded things mentioned here. I learned not to in oh....kindergarten? Nursery school, even?
              Testing
              "I saw a flock of moosen! There were many of 'em. Many much moosen. Out in the woods- in the woodes- in the woodsen. The meese want the food. The food is to eatenesen."

Comment

Quoth reformedwaitress View Post
                He does. Extremely. I can't imagine him taking just 30 minutes to eat ANYTHING,

:ducks and runs away into her gated apartment before Jester kills her:
                Oh no . . . you didn't . . . I can't . . .
                Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

I could take an hour lunch but that just means I have to work an extra half hour. Our cafeteria has pretty good food. It does take a good 5 minutes or more just to walk down there, then you have to get food, then walk back up. So if I punched out before going down to the cafeteria, I'd be wasting half of my lunch just getting there and back (well, I could eat down there but I don't. Most of us all eat together, and only 2 or 3 of us usually walk down to the cafeteria). But, we also get 2 paid 15-minute breaks, so we go down around 12 to get food, and then punch out at 12:30 to eat in our little cafeteria upstairs. Though most days I bring food or else I get a salad or sandwich. Sometimes I just take the walk for the exercise.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                  X