X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kiwi's on fire?

So I work at a really large company,

Im a receptionist to over 200 people (closer to 300 actually) and we take up a few floors of our building.

Today we here a siren go off and assume that because its not on any of our floors we are fine, quite often we will hear sirens for the buildings around us because they have dozens go off at once and they are really loud.

Still the phone calls start flying to me.... is that our siren, who is the fire warden, what do we do. This is in addition to my outside callers. So I call my boss (ignoring the growing list of callers waiting on a que for me to answer) and ask her if I need to press the "get the F up and out" buttons

I have one that changes the phones to emergancy, one that draws the police and locks all of the doors, one that is a back up to the fire alarm.....

she rings the building manager and he says nope we stay put its not our building.

So I get back to everyone, no no your fine stay put stay put.....

not even 5 minutes later we have 20 firemen come tearing up the stairs

GET UP AND GET OUT, WALK CALMLY, LEAVE NOT, GET UP AND LEAVE NOW, EVACUATE THE BUILDING, WALK DONT RUN, LEAVE NOW

they tear through our floors and start throwing alarms everywhere, mass confusion as people dont know whats going on or where to meet or who the wardens are or what to do....

my boss comes flying around the corner yammering on that shes so sorry but it is a real fire and we have to get out now......

apprently some of the staff saw camera crews on our staff room TV standing outside out building showing smoke pouring out of the lower level....

massive meeting tomorrow, 4 very scared looking building managers came and had a pow wow with the big bosses this afternoon to explain why our floors alarms didnt go off....

the dickwad of a security officer i have the displeasure of dealing with everyday came and personally apologuised, my boss came and apologuised to me and I am going to be intereviewed by the fire department because I was the only one deemed "proactive" in an emergancy situation...

so big changes apprently, no one, out of almost 300 people knew who the fire warden was, where the emergancy exits are and what to do in case of fire.

this is a massive deal, heads may roll, its apprently a leading story for the newspapers tomorrow, media calling all afternoon and not taking a "no comment" for an answer.

big trouble at work tomorrow.....

but not for me, i came up smelling like roses
    Last edited by Kiwi; 10-30-2007, 09:46 AM.
    I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Quoth Kiwi View Post
    I was the only one deemed "proactive" in an emergancy situation...
    Nice work Kiwi!

Comment

Oooo building in big sh*t... lol..
      Least you good :P lol
      Be like the flower that perfumes the very hand that crushes it.

Comment

-Runs in screaming and tackles Kiwi while smothering her with a Blanket.-

....Oops...

Hey you said you were on fire!
        "How bloody difficult is it to take care of a DVD?"
        ~Me after any time I look at the back of a disc~

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post

so big changes apprently, no one, out of almost 300 people knew who the fire warden was, where the emergancy exits are and what to do in case of fire.
          What do you mean they didn't know what to do? You get out and sort out everything away from the flames and smoke.
          How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Good for you, Kiwi!!
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post
              big trouble at work tomorrow.....

but not for me, i came up smelling like roses

I'm sure whoever's responsible will find a way to blame you. Sorry.

Comment

In the time it took for people to realise 'hey, it IS our building', half the people could have been killed or seriously smoke-poisoned.

Everyone who doesn't know your employer's evacuation procedures - learn it first thing your next workday.
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Wow Kiwi, just wow. This almost belongs in Morons In Management cause your management sure boofed the pooch on this one. Good job though on the way you handled it and covered your ass there.
                  My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post

this is a massive deal,
                    Um, isn't this a legal requirement, at least to know where the emergency exits are, sure is a massive deal, it could lead to prosecution. I also take it there was no roll call etc...?
                    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                      Everyone who doesn't know your employer's evacuation procedures - learn it first thing your next workday.
                      I never got officially briefed, but I think I've got the jist.

1a) Smother tiny ones
                      1b) Dump the extinguisher on medium+ ones, if feasible
                      2) If it doesn't go out, make tracks for the front doors or the back door, whichever ISN'T on the other side of the flames.
                      3) Call the GM.
                      ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                      And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

What does your alarm sound like?
                        Where is the general meeting area (so you can check you're all out)?
                        What routes can you take if your main route is unavailable?
                        If you're the one who spots a fire starting, how exactly do you sound the alarm?
                        Seshat's self-help guide:
                        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                          What does your alarm sound like?
                          Where is the general meeting area (so you can check you're all out)?
                          What routes can you take if your main route is unavailable?
                          If you're the one who spots a fire starting, how exactly do you sound the alarm?

Continual Ringing Bell
                          Other End of Car Park
                          What ever is available, is needed break windows
                          Press the big red box on the wall in each room

Do I get a prize?
                          A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

our fire alarm always goes off for no reason, but they told us to just get the customers out and GTFO

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post

Ours is pretty simple.

Run out nearest door
                              Meet outside in parking lot.

Kiwi, any chance you can get us the link to the newspaper story, if it's there?
                              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                              X