Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many departments have you worked now (in the same store)?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many departments have you worked now (in the same store)?

Like the title says.

I've been in my store for 11 months now. So far:

Deli/Prepared Foods: Dec 06 - Oct 07

Bakery: 1 day (their entire opening shift called in except for 2 people, so I got loaned out.. store manager and one assistant manager were there too). It was okay, pretty boring.

Grocery: Loaned out twice in August, officially transferred in October. Deli's budget got cut, plus they have a huge remodel going on that's really cut into sales, so hours were cut BAD (I was averaging 35 hrs a week in early Oct). Right now I'm getting 40-45 hours a week. Scheduled 40, but usually work a little more. Grocery is my favorite so far.

I don't think I could handle meat or seafood - I get queasy enough just handling raw steaks at home (and hearing the meat saw running at 3am makes my stomach unhappy). And I would completely flip out on some of the assholes that frontend gets. I could handle produce if I had to, though I really don't know anybody there. I'm happiest in grocery, though ultimately I want to move into the admin dept.

I've worked in Pet & Garden, Toys, Stationery, HBC, Gifts & Lamps, Hardware, Small Appliances and I cashiered for 4 months. Most of those I worked while on the 3rd shift stocking crew.

Now I'm in Fashions and I dare say it is the absolute worst dept to be stuck in. I hate it with a passion and would like to transfer but hours are being cut storewide. Our dept hasn't cut hours drastically because we've lost 3 people in the last 2 months and are already short-handed. They also have no plans to hire seasonal help for the upcoming nightmare aka the Christmas rush.

Retail Haiku:
    Depression sets in.
    The hellhole is calling me ~
    I don't want to go.

Comment

I'm not in retail, but on a regular basis I work in...

Picking, Chilled Pick Coordination, Customer Services, Chilled Checking, Management Committee.

Irregularly, I'll be seen doing Goods Despatch or Sales.

On a blue moon basis, I'll be seen checking ambient orders.

That's what I do currently - previously I've been in Quality Control. Enough for you?

Rapscallion
      Last edited by Rapscallion; 11-02-2007, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Since being at my current store for a year now . .

Front End register
        DSD Receving
        HBA
        Scanning
        Dairy department (did that for a couple of hours one day when Dairy guy was off. Usually they'll get one of the guys to do it since it's a lot of heavy lifting involved.)

Luckily I don't have to run a register but rarely these days . . .too many issues in the office going on for my tastes. But there are days when I'll be doing all 3 departments (Scanning, DSD and HBA.)

What can I say? I'm a goddess of many talents . . .
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Let's see, in my long history in food service, I think I have done just about everything there is to do in a restaurant:

Serving? Check.
          Bartending? Check.
          Bussing? Check.
          Food running? Check.
          Cooking? Check.
          Expediting? Check.
          Dishwashing? Check.
          Training? Check.
          Management? Check.
          Magic? Check. Okay, okay, that is not a normal position in food service, but I HAVE had regular or semi-regular gigs doing magic at four different establishments.

About the only thing I haven't done in restaurants is design them, build them or be the guy that comes in after hours and cleans them.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

For my current place of employment?

Salad bar*
            Hot foods*
            Sandwich station*
            Deli
            Seafood
            Produce
            Front end
            Floral
            Meat room (unofficially)
            Online shopping

I might be missing one or two, but not many.

*These first three are grouped in the same department, but I'm one of the very few who can do all three...sometimes even on the same day!! Also, I do believe that they are considered separate.
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

At Macy's, I was based in the Fashion Jewelry/Watches department, but I also picked up extra shifts in Handbags/Accessories, Juniors, and Kid's.

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                Salad bar*
                Hot foods*
                Sandwich station*
                Deli
                These are all part of deli/prepared foods where I work.

Within prepared foods, I did pizza, deli, chef's case, hot foods, sandwich, salad bar, freshpack (packing up stuff for the meals to go cooler), bistro cook (burgers, fries, etc), and dishwasher shifts. About the only thing I didn't do was kitchen cook (but I still wound up helping out the cooks and doing some of the easier recipes). Whenever I had back of house shifts (freshpack, salad bar, dishwasher) I always wound up helping out around the kitchen and doing a little of everything. Well, I tried anyway. My official job title was "Pizza Cook", but in the past 2-3 months I've had about a half dozen pizza shifts.

Comment

Mmm - turns out I forgot to add returns to the occasional jobs.

Rapscallion

Comment

At my first job

Electrical Beauty (shavers, electric toothbrushes and wotnot)
                    Mens Fragrance
                    Ladies Frgrance
                    Photo Counter
                    Mini Lab
                    Stockloss
                    Team Manager
                    Healthcare
                    Till Upgrade Champion
                    Till Trainer
                    Induction trainer (these two are different, wierd I know)

They didn't even bat an eyelid when I quit, I shudder to think how much all that cost them in training.
                    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

At a department store job, I injured my leg and had to leave my regular department as the floor was tile over concrete and the leg wasn't healing. After that I floated on the other, carpeted floors. One day I sat down and figured out that I had covered in 21 departments.
                      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                      HR believes the first person in the door
                      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                      Document everything
                      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Let's see, at my store I've worked in
                        • GM freight (unloading and stocking trucks)
                        • Autopull (pulling and filling merchandise, separate from GM freight)
                        • Lawn and Garden
                        • GM salesfloor
                        • Price management (putting up ad signs and doing the weekly furniture audit)
                        • Home entertainment (not often but I do know my way around the department)
                        • Maintenance (for one summer, hated every minute of it)
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

In the past month:

cashier
                          DSD Receiving aka babysitting the Pepsi and Frito Lay reps
                          Distribution Center receiving
                          merchandising
                          stock clerk
                          signing (holy crap, the Christmas sign kit was huge)
                          pricing
                          cash office
                          janitor
                          Dairy

None of these qualify as departments were I work though.
                          We rarely have more than 3 people on at a time so the Supervisors and Store Manager will end up doing pretty much anything.
                          "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Anonymous

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual." - Dr. House

Comment

Departments I have worked:
                            bagging
                            checking
                            service desk
                            photo (replaced with kosher deli)
                            cash room
                            scan
                            My Fanfic Page
                            My Fiction Page
                            My Social Group
                            My Pet Social Group
                            My You Tube Channel

Comment

I don't work retail, but I work in a call center... in two years, I've been:

Sales support rep, supporting our outside sales people.
                              Customer Service Rep
                              Internet tech support
                              Quality Control.

In a mere two weeks, I can start applying for my next adventure.
                              I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Comment

Working...
                              X