Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apparently, I was fooled by a Counterfeiter...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth TNT View Post
    The eyes... in US money, always look at the eyes on the portrait. They're so detailed, only a master counterfeiter can even come close. And master counterfeiters have better things to do than pass a twenty at a local bar.
    There are lots of ways to check for counterfeits in US currency. Here's a good webpage: http://www.secretservice.gov/know_your_money.shtml I don't know who handles counterfeits in Canada and the UK, perhaps they have similar web pages.

Don't bother with counterfeit detection pens. They're just iodine pens, and the iodine reacts with the starch in paper. Only a total schmuck would use cheap starchy paper to make counterfeits with, so it's rather pointless.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

At the gas station we had a sign behind the counter that alerted cashiers to the new $10 bills and what specific details are in every denomination.
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
        At the gas station we had a sign behind the counter that alerted cashiers to the new $10 bills and what specific details are in every denomination.
        I just had a customer spaz because her $10 bill was fake. Freaking out about "What am I going to do? How could this happen? Why didn't someone catch this before it got to me?!", practically in tears.

Finally I got her to calm down and listen to me, so I could inform her that they redid the $10 bills, and that's just the way they look now.

Comment

My store caught a fake $20. Wrong paper, wrong size, really easy to spot. The fake $50 was harder to spot. A $5 had been bleached and reprinted as a $50. So it passed the "pen" test. When the supervisor held it to the light the security stripe said "five" and the watermark was the wrong president. "I got it from my bank. I'll take it back to them." (then grabs bill and runs) After that we broke out a six inch black light to keep at the register. Busy Cashiers with a line seven people deep are prime targets.
          Next fake I'm keeping and turning in to the cops. What are they gonna do? Call the cops because I took their fake money and won't give it back? Actually I can see that....
          Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
          The following is subject to change:
          If Your Going Through Hell,
          Keep Going...

Comment

Chances are they're not going to do much about you taking a fake, but at least here in the US you usually have to talk to someone. Someone passed a fake $5 bill in our store once. We caught it knew who the person was. So the police were called about it. They came asked some questions, then someone from the feds called the employee asked a few questions, but it wasn't a big deal, and we didn't make a big stink about it. But I would suspect with a company they'd ask you the questions and turn them over to the police

Comment

Honestly I don't know what to do about catching counterfeits. I'm told to check only 50's and higher, yet I see alot of fake 5's and 20's. I am always afraid to check them, for fear of people getting defensive about it.

Sort of like "You just think it's fake because I'm black," since we know these things happen. I don't want that greif. But I also don't want the whole "Good game accepting counterfeits," rep either.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                I don't know who handles counterfeits in Canada and the UK, perhaps they have similar web pages.
                Here you go

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/bankn...rity/index.htm
                A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Well, it turns out it was a counterfeit RECEIPT. So I went to give my best description of the lady, etc... (Luckily, I rmeembered the transaction because it was for a large cash amount).

I feel bad though, because I really shouldn't have done what I did. Usually for Housewares you're supposed to return stuff to that department. But the lady had cited one of the Managers' names, and so stupid me, I did it.

I'm not in trouble though.
                  Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

In Australia its much harder to counterfit our bank notes. We used to be paper, but in the infinite wisdom of our goverment (no sarcasm) we decided to go with plastic bank notes - perhaps so we can go to the beach with our wallet in our pocket, not in the 'infallible' hiding spot which is in the bopttom of your shoes!

These notes are hard to counterfit and the texture of the notes make it REALLY easy to find a fake.
                    SC:What makes you think you can tell me how to do this?
                    ME:Because I finished Pre-school, Elementary School, High School
                    and College first time. Now: Red wire is positive.

Comment

Working...
                    X