This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Accents and Iambic Pantameter

So one of the new girls at work, L I will call her, is fresh from Britain. Gorgeous woman if you ask me, with a well articulated British Accent. Today we had this conversation:

*she takes her purse out of the locking cabinets. I watch*

Me: L, that's a HUGE purse!

Her: Well, I have to have a big one to keep all my rubbish in it!.

Me: ... I love you. You're the ONLY other person I've ever known who KNOWS what that word is!

She said people kept trying to correct her and get her to use 'garbage'. I told her not to.

We also have one of those 'Snake Oil Salesman" types in it, selling a 'revolutionary new idea' (A new kind of Swiffer Sweeper knockoff). Thing is, how she does the announcements:

Her: Attention Shoppers. THIs is a very SPECIAL announcement for every ADULT customer in the Store RIGHT NOW.

One time I happened to be up there when she was paging it, and then afterwards, We talked:

Me: You're the only person aside from Bill Shatner who speaks in Iambic Panatameter!:

Her: *laughs* are you a poet? I'm a literature major and I've never seen ANYONE ELSE know what that means!
    Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

She sounds cool!

I have a niece who writes really, really well and she just naturally writes like that without even trying. I'm not sure that she talks like that, but she sure writes like it.
    Her stuff is REALLY nice to read.

Comment

Working...
    X