Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeking opinions... (slow work computers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking opinions... (slow work computers)

So, where I work, we have to log into a computer, then start up several systems before we can log in to work. Theoretically, we're supposed to show up a little bit early (5-10 min before our shift starts) to get logged in. Lately, they've also been encouraging us to shut down our computers each night, to conserve power, etc.

Well, even if I don't shut down, and just lock it, it takes my slow-ass computer at least 5-10 minutes to get logged in and most programs booted. If I log it out, it takes 10-15 minutes to get going. And if I shut the stupid thing down, it's going to take me 15 minutes minimum to get everything up and running.

I can understand getting here with ample time to log in, but I also think it's ridiculous to expect us to show up 20-30 minutes before our shifts start, when we aren't getting paid for that time, just because they're too lazy/broke to get us decent computers. They're generally forgiving, especially if there's a network issue that's causing some of the slow down, but it still irks me that we're "expected" to be "on time" when we can't do anything about how slow the computers are.

I understand the idea that you should be ready to work when your shift starts, don't get me wrong. I do my best to be at my desk, papers and binders out, headset on at my start time, it's just that sometimes my computer doesn't feel like cooperating. Any thoughts?
    "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Quoth myswtghst View Post
    I can understand getting here with ample time to log in, but I also think it's ridiculous to expect us to show up 20-30 minutes before our shifts start, when we aren't getting paid for that time
    I used to get on a real high horse about showing up early to accomplish a shift change but mellowed with age. Twenty to thirty minutes is pretty darn ridiculous however! Have you brought this up with management or union reps yet? I'd certainly see what they have to say first, but I'm thinking, come in, Clock In (or come in at your scheduled paid for time) log in immediately and then start your other setup work (notes, headset, etc.) A little overlap to get a heads up from other workers or to count in a till or something is one thing, doing an integral part of your job ahead of time on their equipment is another. You should be paid for that time.

Comment

I agree. 15 minutes or more is ridiculous. I always thought the showing up early thing was to get personal prep out of the way (change into a uniform, get coffee, that sort of thing), or to help get a co-worker out on time by counting your till.

Expecting you to be that early to do things like that? Umm, paid time. Actual computer-wise, sounds like they either need more RAM or a better network set up. Also, with multiple programs, they may want to look and see if there's anything to get more of the functions under a single umbrella program.
      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I know how you feel. At work, we have a very slow computer. Sometimes when we are doing receipts or making out a sign or payments or whatever, it will just becomes sloooooowwwwww. Since we have 3 programs(yes each one uses alot of memory) opened all the time, I have mentioned to one of the owners about getting more RAM. But atlas, he doesn't listen. He justs disk-defragment and disk clean-up.
        Under The Moon Paranormal Research
        San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

You should check with your local labor board. If you are at your desk, waiting for the computer, then that is normally paid time. Maybe if they realize how much time they're losing from the boot issues, they'll actually spend some IT time to get this stuff worked out.

One firm I worked for was testing a time system at one of our offices that basically clocked you in and out when you logged onto and off of the network. The problem was that there had been a lot of new software changes and it was taking 10 minutes for the computers to boot to the point where the users could officially be clocked in. So the firm just automatically adjusted the clock in times to allow for that.
          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
          HR believes the first person in the door
          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
          Document everything
          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Lately, our computers have been running like crap, which tells me that either there's some sort of virus, malware, or monitoring system that they're not telling us about (likely that last one will be fixed soon what with my typing in "GO FUCK YOURSELVES" in my notepad when it gets really slow, just in case). ANYWAY, there are a couple of things you can do, as it's not your fault that the tools are loading like they do...

- If possible, throw shortcuts to all of your tools into the startup menu. Even if they load up in an order you don't want, they're there, aren't they?
            - Recommend that IT comes down and investigates the slowness. It could be as I've suspected for my department: spyware, adware, viruses, etc.
            - Ask if there's a way you can log into idle if you start to "go over" on your login time.
            - Nix what they say and leave your computer in a locked state with all of your tools loaded up.

In any case, like I said, it's not your fault things are moving slow and THEY need to do something about it. One of the preceding items should at least help the situation.
            You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Comment

Working...
            X