This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barcode bloopers and cleavage dragons

I closed tonight. And for once, I had a great workday. The customers weren't sucky, just interesting. Firstly -

I was scanning a lady's groceries and ended up keying in most of the meats, as they labels that the meat department puts on them never want to scan. No biggie. They had marked down some pre-packaged bacon with said labels and I hand-keyed them in without giving it a second thought, and then did the same with some fresh, hot crab legs.

Me: "Your total today is $250.xx"

As soon as it left my mouth I knew something was wrong. Seafood is not that pricey. Poor woman looked devastated and bemused.

W: "You mean this little bit of stuff is gonna cost me two hundred and fifty dollars?!"

Me:

We looked at my screen to discover that her bacon had not been labeled 99 cents, or even a dollar (the correct price), but $99.99 a pack. Yes, a standard, 16oz package of raw bacon slices.

W: "No way! I wanna know what kind of pig they cut THAT from!"

I explained to her that it must have been keyed in wrong and got a sup to void it off. Hey, mistakes happen, and we got a good laugh. Then P, an older man who has taken a job with us bagging groceries until his eyes heal and he can go back to 'normal' work, strolls on up.

Me: "Hey P, look at this. Whatcha think of that bacon?"

P: *after staring at the label for a moment* "HOLY SHIT!"

Maybe you had to be there, but the whole thing struck me as very humorous.

I had a similar situation in my Wallyworld days, when I was waiting on one of my regular customers. She had problems with her legs and was heavy-set, so she always rode in one of the electric carts, and I've never seen her wear anything but a mu-mu. Definitely not someone I would ever want to piss off, but we all loved waiting on her. I remember once there was an f-up with the self check involving her food stamp card that took over two hours to fix (involved several CSM's growing very frustrated with the EBT reps) and not once did she get impatient or yell at us.

This particular time, however, she was just at my register and we were chatting while I rang her through, when I scanned a 'reduced' cake from the bakery and she stares at the screen and goes "UH-UH!" The label for the cake read $6.30. It scanned in at $70.01. We never could figure out how that happened, except maybe a really screwed up Telxon. And yes, next time I saw her, I asked her if the cake had been good ^_^

But back to tonight. I'm ringing out a couple when the wife starts rubbing at her shirt and saying something to her husband about "Well we've been walking all around and he was scratching me, ow!" I thought she must have been talking about a cat that had scratched her at home. Right? Um, no. She dives her hand into her shirt, and out from her cleavage pops a live, bearded dragon. It was about 8 inches long with the tail, I figured, and she said that he was her baby and goes everywhere with her. Just wow. Just think, next time you're in the supermarket, your fellow customers walking past could have pet lizards stuffed down their bras.

Another customer came in with a baby albino bunny rabbit. Yes, we have a no pets policy, but unless they're putting the thing on the conveyor belts or it's leaving gifts everywhere, I simply tell them that I see nothing

Anywho . . . yes. Very interesting night.
    The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

I know a girl that walks around with a snake in her bra. Sometimes it's around her wrist, but usually it's in her bra. She says she's waiting for someone to cop a feel and get bitten.
    Everything sucks. I must be living in a vacuum.

Comment

What a shame, all my pets are too big to fit in my bra
      The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

You should borrow Rapscallion's bra.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

My chinchilla would probably fit right between the girls, but he's pretty jumpy and not too keen on being held for too long. It would most likely end in disaster.
          "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
            You should borrow Rapscallion's bra.
            Jester for the win!

Are you made of leprechauns? 'Cause that was awesome!
            "I'm not a crazed gunman, dad, I'm an assassin... Well, the difference being one is a job and the other's mental sickness!" -The Sniper

Comment

i like the ones WHO claim they are working dogs AND youknow THEY are NOT!!!
              My csm asked nicely after seeing no Vest and the kid was way to "punky" and Dirty to be a Worker!the dog was sooo OLD and NO way this was a Working dog! he had nothing to prove!!! Cya he told him!

i dont get the excuse! OH he/she is my BABY i cant leave her/him home!!! WHat you PPL do when your at work? hire baby sitter?
              ***one lady ACTULY said YES too me!:headscratch

Comment

Better a bearded dragon than a bearded clam!
                Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Comment

Quoth LadyBarbossa View Post
                  W: "No way! I wanna know what kind of pig they cut THAT from!"
                  It's one of those flying pigs. They have to harvest them with hot air balloons.

They're pretty rare, you only get them when the store is fully staffed, the manager has a backbone, you get a pay rise and the weekend off.
                  "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

One of my cousins in NJ has a bearded dragon; last year when we were down there for Thanksgiving it kept trying to crawl up in my sweatshirt.

I used to see a guy around town with a six-foot iguana on a leash. It loved being petted O_o
                    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Kara_CS View Post
                      My chinchilla would probably fit right between the girls, but he's pretty jumpy and not too keen on being held for too long. It would most likely end in disaster.
                      Well, that would certainly be more pleasant than a bearded dragon there! (minus the claws, of course)

Youch, I can't imagine sticking a beardie in with my girls.
                      Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
                      Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
                      The Office

Comment

wait til they get a little bigger and get pissed off, the spikes get kinda sharp. and they get claws too. but my bearded dragon died

I have a friend who used to have a hamster he trained to run down girls shirts

Comment

Quoth Zoe1975 View Post
                          WHat you PPL do when your at work? hire baby sitter?
                          *sigh* Yes. My boss takes her dog to daycare. They have play groups, field trips, nap time, snack time...everything that people day care has. Just....for dogs. Wow.
                          Well fiddle dee dee!!

Comment

Before my snakey-poo got too big, I used to go to town with him hiding in my bra.

There are few things on this earth more entertaining than being in the middle of a transaction, and glancing up to see a look of utter horror on the checkout girl's face.

I'd look down, and snakey-poo would be peeking out. I'd push him back down with one hand and go "hehe, sorry!"
                            Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                              I used to see a guy around town with a six-foot iguana on a leash. It loved being petted O_o
                              "Wanna stroke my lizard?"
                              Unseen but seeing
                              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                              3rd shift needs love, too
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                              X