This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scheduling quirks making me happy

If this works out the way my boss says it will, I'm going to be a very, very happy man next paycheck.

If you work on Thanksgiving, you get double time. So my already generous for what I do $11 an hour will be $22 an hour.

Instead of having us overnighters clock in at 12:00 am the day after Thanksgiving, he scheduled us to clock in at 11:30 pm Thanksgiving. Our time clock is pretty basic - it records the time/date you punch in, and the time you punch out. It doesn't end your shift at midnight and begin a new shift at 12:01. Because of this, even though I'm technically working Monday morning when I go in before midnight on Sunday night, my pay shows up as if the entire shift was on Sunday. Because of this, since I'm clocking in before midnight on Thanksgiving, my entire 8 hour shift will be paid at.. $22/hour.

I've also been averaging 9-10 hour shifts instead of 8. Even if I'm done by the end of my shift, there's always someone else running behind. Yesterday it was dairy and frozen, I stayed an extra 2 hours to help them out. I'm not sure how that's going to work if I get OT next week. I know we have a very small truck coming Thanksgiving, and I'm sure they're going to be really anxious to get me off the clock the following morning.

For a change, I have a boss that's not really that concerned with his labor budget - at least, not this time of year. Our sales are nearly off the chart right now and even with all the OT, we're still coming in under budget. We have a couple of guys working 6 days a week, 10 hours a day, just trying to keep up right now. And it's only going to get worse (or better for my pocket) in the days leading up to Christmas. We could honestly use another overnighter right now, but I'll happily eat all the OT they want to give me.

The guy he replaced stood by the timeclock and made sure nobody could punch in until after 12:00 last Thanksgiving - that way he didn't have to pay anybody double time. Night and day (edit: night and day difference)
    Last edited by bean; 11-18-2007, 02:28 PM.

oh, i love the scheduling quirk I have this week, my old schedule had wednesday/thursday off, my new schedule is saturday/sunday off, and schedules change fridays at midnight, so i took my normal weekend, went back to work for one day, and had another weekend (the flipside though is that occasionally I have to work 7 days in a row.)
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

That's kind of how my schedule was a couple of weeks ago. On one schedule, I had Sunday off. On the next schedule (last week), I had Monday and Tuesday off. WOOHOO! Except I came down with bronchitis on Monday, and when I got back to work on Wednesday I wound up leaving halfway through my shift because I couldn't stop coughing (I wound up puking because I was coughing so hard). I did make up most of the hours, and I'm cashing in some of my paid time off to make up the remainder. I don't know exactly how many hours I wound up working this week, but I asked HR to round my hours up to 40 using whatever PTO they need.

I'm still sick as hell, and yup.. 7 days straight on this schedule. AND we open at 7am for the next couple of days, instead of 8.. so I have to work even harder to get the floor cleared before open. I don't have enough PTO to cover more than 2 more sick days, plus that would REALLY screw everyone since we've been getting massive trucks for the holidays. As someone else put it, "I'm not scheduling myself to get sick anytime soon." Even with all of us working our asses off, we're actually scheduling OT and people are still staying well beyond scheduled shifts. A call-out would NOT be good for the store in any way right now.

Comment

Working...
      X