Yes, they trust me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, they trust me.

I had a kind of funny interaction with a customer while processing her IRA distribution this week.

her: Can you cash this check for me?
    me: I can take it up to one of the tellers, but it might be faster if you just go up there yourself so there's fewer people handling your cash.
    her: You don't have a teller drawer any more?
    me: They don't let me play with cash any more. haha [my standard response to this question]
    her: They don't trust you!?
    me: Oh, they trust me with other things.

Yeah, they trust me with transactions worth tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars. Just because I don't usually handle cash any more doesn't mean I'm not handling lots of money every day. This interaction stuck in my brain because it just seems silly to think that handling cash is where the trust lies. I had to get it out, so now it's in your brain, too.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

You are not alone. Prosecuting patents involves lots of fees, up into the hundreds sometimes. But I never got to handle the money, only do the patent prosecution work. You know, issue the patents that could be worth millions to some companies. But can't touch the money. No sir.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

When I was working at the food stamp office, I approved cash and food stamp benefits every day. I could set their cards up for activation for them. Once the card was activated, touching it again could lead to a write up.

Comment

I was thinking about this interaction again this morning as I'm pulling checks out of a box so that I can write them out for hundreds of thousands of dollars as I process property tax payments out of escrows. The bank trusts me with a big box of blank checks. They must trust me plenty. lol
        "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
        -Mira Furlan

Comment

"You don't have a teller drawer anymore?"
          "No, the amount of money I handle every day wouldn't fit into one of those little trays."
          You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Working...
          X