Junk Email: CDC Needs Donations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junk Email: CDC Needs Donations

This one's both amusing and infuriating. It seems they're trying to prey on people who don't realize the CDC is government-funded.

The email starts with a link to check on COVID cases around "your city." It goes to a link that's similar enough to the real cdc.gov that I suspect some people might not notice.

Then it says the CDC is running out of funds.
    The CDC has established an incident management system to coordinate a domestic and international public health response to this virus. At this time, we are in desperate need of financial support and ask for your donation, nothing is too small. All of our research groups have been working around the clock to develop a vaccine.

Please find our Bitcoin account detail below for your donation and support:
    And they want donations in Bitcoins.
    And the CDC is developing a vaccine.
    Anyone who falls for this is some combination of stupid, gullible, and not paying attention.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

I wonder how many people have fallen for this?
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Enough to pay for the mailers, no doubt.
      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Working...
      X