Ho-leee shit...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ho-leee shit...

M got suspended yesterday...for standing up to a raving SC. I didn't see the whole thing, but heard some of it.

M was watching SCO and I was over in my corner doing paperwork and talking with my mom and B. Apparently it started innocently enough; a confused customer who didn't know how to use SCO at all (then go to a mainline register!). In addition to entering a store card, M also had to scan SC's items for her.

SC was buying a couple BOGO items. All BOGO sales come off at the very end of the transaction, when you hit "Pay"; the system needs to make sure that you did in fact buy two.
    SC: "These are supposed to be buy one get one but you're charging me for both! My store card didn't go through!" (she didn't have her card and needed M to press the "forgot card" button so a store card went in)
    M: "The card went through, see the sales that it already took off? The BOGO will come off at the very end of the transaction when you go to pay."
    SC: "Are you sure? You don't know what you're talking about!"
    My mom steps in. "This young woman is the front end manager, she does know what she's talking about. I shop here all the time and that is how these sales work."
    Lather, rinse, repeat a few times until SC breaks the cycle (and the sound barrier) by screeching "You're trying to cheat me! You're trying to scam me!"

Eventually, M could not waste any more time with this loon and extricates herself by saying "Ma'am, I have helped you as much as I can. I have other customers to assist now so I will get another manager to help you."

Sm is called, and SC goes off (I didn't hear what was said). Sm's response is to say to M--in front of everyone who witnessed the preceding--"You're suspended."

Mom then corners Sm "That customer was verbally abusive to your front end manager and accused her of scamming rather than paying attention to what [M] was telling her."
    Sm: "Yes, yes..." Clearly Sm was a bit out of her element.
    Mom" "You are okay with being verbally harassed. You are telling me that you expect employees to take verbal abuse and accusations and that you will not find out the entire story before taking the customer's side no questions asked and disciplining the employees in public."
    Sm: "Well...yes..." (B doesn't think that Sm entirely understood what mom was saying) Sm does not know my mom and we try to keep it that way...nice to have a "concerned customer" who knows what we really go through.

I later found M and told her that I had talked to a customer who witnessed the entire thing and that if she needed them to write something up on what transpired that they would do so (as would I; while I didn't see everything I saw/heard enough).. No word on how long she'll be suspended for. Nobody who saw this or heard about it is happy, and our shop steward was ripshit that she did get suspended (apparently he sat in on a short "meeting" which didn't seem to cover much of substance).

M is my backup for online pickup; this week is going to be interesting (Tuesday especially as that is my day off). The other online-pickup trained fulltimers are going to decline any requests to change their days off; I can't change mine (doubtful that they'll try to ask this late in the game) as I already have plans.

I pulled 9 hours today...didn't punch for a break (although I did manage to take one) as I thought I was leaving at 2 (I usually leave at 10, M then does online pickup until she leaves at 2). Sm's idea of "helping out" is to leave everything for me to clean up...she "voluntold" me to jump on a register and when I escaped I found that she had not put away the cold items from the most recent shop although she told me specifically that she would do it (luckily it was cool enough over there that everything was still at temperature, but if you say you're going to help out then fucking help--I can see that behavior from a part-timer, but a manager?!).
    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 04-10-2022, 08:52 PM.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Oh good grief. I would *love* to hear what excuse they're going to give for suspending M, let alone immediately and in front of customers like that.
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I think your store is just plain poison.
      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
        Oh good grief. I would *love* to hear what excuse they're going to give for suspending M, let alone immediately and in front of customers like that.
        My guess is that it will simply amount to "Because I said so" in the end. It sounds to me like M did everything right.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Sm did try to suspend M previously, for "profanity". I'm not entirely sure what happened there, but M was expressing concerns to C about cashiers not doing their jobs and I believe she may have said "what the hell do you expect me to do if not make sure my employees are doing what they're supposed to?" That suspension attempt failed...so they have history. IIRC Sm violated the Weingarten rule by not allowing representation before disciplinary action (while M did not invoke, there may have been no reason to). A coworker is saying that M yelled at Sm first...that doesn't pass the sniff test.

M was meeting with C, Sm and the union rep today; I saw M briefly but we did not talk. I hope things worked out for her. I tried to get mom to send an email as a concerned customer in support of M...the absence of sheer competency has definitely been felt over the past 2 days (as the service desk manager said "I hope they're seeing what happens when they suspend the most competent person in the building").

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
            ... (as the service desk manager said "I hope they're seeing what happens when they suspend the most competent person in the building").
            "That nasty M won't be showing us up!" PHB Supreme.
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Ha, exactly. Myself and M can run rings around those two, and I think they know it (C is still annoyed that he didn't manage to transfer me so has been trying to needle me in any way that he can).

I have news!

M was back today; the suspension went nowhere. I don't know exactly what went down but will ask her on Thursday (I was off today, she's off tomorrow). I suspect that C and Sm didn't want to get the union involved again...and Sm's previous attempt against M was pure pettiness so there is that on record. I think my mom still wants to send that email as a generic "as a customer, I witnessed this and am distressed that a member of management would act this way".

Sm is truly toxic, but we all knew that. She may be a Dunning-Kruger example, not sure on that count but she is definitely manipulative. She seems to enjoy goading people and using perceived (or created) weaknesses against them. She doesn't know about the transfer kerfuffle, but I have noticed that whenever I'm wearing my autism bracelet or pins she does not know how to react and will avoid interacting with me beyond cursory "how are things going".

C is leaving, for a corporate position (good, he can't be inflicted on any more ground troops). No idea who his replacement will be, although B did hear from another store that it would be a man (so not Sm, which is what we were all worried about). I wonder if it's going to be someone from that other store...there are a few managers there that I know and two of them used to work here.

Comment

Good to see that Sm got a refresher course in why unions are so useful. Congrats on getting rid of C, just hope the new position doesn't involve contact with stores. regarding the replacement I won't say it, we all know it's possible.
                This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

M had never actually had to sit for one of those meetings, and as she put it "it was nice to see exactly what kind of bullshit they like to put us through".

C would not state (on record, in front of both the shop steward and union rep) that he would not terminate M unless she apologized to Sm for "acting inappropriately" Sm was the one being inappropriate, and she knew damn well that M had witnesses (both B and I were expecting to be called into the meeting as well as M is entitled to have backup if there are witnesses), but never were). So M was forced to apologize, but it seems she did it in a manner that shuffled blame onto Sm--but the two of them are too selfish/useless to grasp this.

Comment

Working...
                  X