The County Recorder's Office! AAARGH!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The County Recorder's Office! AAARGH!

This is super annoying. We have a mortgage that covers property that's both Abstract and Torrens. Basically, our County Recorder has 2 separate departments, and whether a mortgage needs to be recorded with one or the other depends on whether it's considered "Abstract" or "Torrens." I don't really know what those mean, other than it shows up on property tax documents and title work. Abstract properties are usually in town, while Torrens properties are usually rural. If a mortgage covers multiple parcels, those parcels could be a mixture of Abstract and Torrens properties. In that case, the mortgage has to be recorded in BOTH departments, and there's extra filing fees.

We now e-file all our documents, which makes it quicker. And that's good when something like this happens. I recorded the mortgage in the department for Torrens properties. It came back as a pdf, as it does. Instead of printing it out, scanning it back in, and uploading the scan to record it on the Abstract side, I decide to just upload the pdf the Torrens side sent me. Should be fine, right? Well, the County's documents always come back like they're scanning the thing on a flatbed scanner. What I mean is - our mortgage is on legal-size paper. The first page from the County with the recording information is letter-size paper. Except on the pdf, the first page is legal-size showing their recording information at the top, except for that last little strip at the bottom where the first page of our mortgage shows through.

So when I uploaded their pdf, it gets rejected because "The bottom of the first page of the document appears at the bottom of the Torrens recording document. Please rescan the first page so it doesn't appear there." That's how you sent it to me! Now I have to print out the document, physically cut off the bottom of the first page so it's letter size, then scan and resubmit the whole thing. There isn't even a way to respond to the rejection on the e-file site so I can tell them they're the ones who messed up the first page.

The only positive is that it only takes a day or two to get recorded documents back by e-file, compared to weeks when we had to send them through the mail.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Many PDF-reading programs will allow you to crop an image and save the file. If you don't feel like going through the whole print/scan process.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

I feel your pain, Ghel.
      Illinois state tax returns require the property tax identification number to claim the income tax credit for property tax. Well one county assessor's search function somehow could not find condos or townhouses. A couple of my CW's even ran into the problem for single family houses. Until that county fixed their site (just last year IIRC), we had to find that information using a realtor site, which we could verify with that county treasurer's site (it could search by property PIN but not address
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
      X