What the F....?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the F....?!

I get into work yesterday (Wednesday) to an email that the DM sent the day before (Tuesday, my day off) regarding two orders from Monday that had not been invoiced/processed. I go in and look up the orders...everything seems fine. Invoiced, picked up, etc. R confirmed that the two customers did pick up their orders. I remember shopping those; regular customers.

I'm going back through things later to figure out some paperwork (I needed an invoice from a Monday morning order), and see that the two afternoon orders that DM was yelling about (Monday 5PM pickup slot) were now marked as Cancelled in the pickup software. Ten minutes prior they were showing as Invoiced and Picked Up. Unfortunately, the invoices that I'm now able to view only shows the Cancelled status (zero dollar amount, no totes, all items OOS). I know that I printed the original invoices when I finalized the orders...they're missing. R tells me that there was some sort of system issue on Monday night, I have a feeling that this is the culmination of some minor (annoyingly non-duplicatable) issues I'd been hammering the Helpless Desk about over the past month. It started around the same time they upgraded our OS...nobody probably through to check our software for actual compatibility. Starting last week, Chrome had been acting strange (IIRC Google is shutting off access to 'less secure' apps, of which this might be one...what do you want to bet that IT just ignored the warnings and forced something through). The store does not have access to any sort of backend logs, so there is no way for us to know if an original copy of the invoice still exists.

All that DM wants to know is if I can talk to the MOD that was on Monday evening...no, I don't know his schedule and at this point (today/Thursday), it is three days removed from the actual incident and I have no clue what happened seeing as I wasn't in the building for any of it. I don't get paid enough to chase down that stuff. I can't call in a ticket because I have no information at all about what happened (and it's useless if I'm not on the phone as it's happening). A ticket should have been called in by an exempt manager at the time this went down.

I do some deeper digging today...the employee ID attached to both of the orders in question (the person who shopped them) is not my ID. IIRC that person wasn't even in the building until I left on Monday so they could not have shopped those orders. I'm not able to actually print off the screens for that, but I did take photos.

I was trying to pull up the OOS list for Monday to see if the items showed up...I can't get any lists older than Tuesday. Trying to pull up the Monday list causes the program to crash (we should be able to go back 5 days in those reports). I think there's another way that I can get it...I did print off copies of the 'new' cancelled invoices, so I have the OOS lists at least.

It's really frustrating having the knowledge to troubleshoot this stuff but not being allowed to. I know it's really not my job to be digging into this, but if someone is trying to pin blame on me/us I'd like to know why. R says that three managers witnessed the Monday system glitch (but nobody though to call it in...). I'd think that one of them would have left me a note if things got weird.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I'm wondering how much system access C might have.
    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
      Maybe I'm paranoid, but I'm wondering how much system access C might have.
      I am thinking the same thing.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

This is damned peculiar, and it's fishier than Jaws and its sequels. And more suspect than the entire Clue gang roster.
        Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

C has been gone for about 2 weeks, he is infecting Corporate in a payroll position...but given the non-state of the IT department, it wouldn't surprise me if they did not disable his access to the online pickup systems. Although any access that he had would be far below what is needed to create this kind of chaos...this system is specific to the e-commerce arm of things, they have their own team that AFAIK is separate from store ops. I wouldn't be surprised if some sort of update went wrong (this is why I was wanting access to system logs, I know when I finalized the order and wanted to know if the software crash changed anything)

Even the other managers have no idea what happened. We know that there is something going on with the online-pickup computer in store, but it's behaving just enough to make nice when IT is invoked. R commented that I could probably fix it if given the proper access creds. I'm not able/allowed to run any kind of diagnostics...and IT will not run those diagnostics because there isn't an "immediate need" to do so. Meh, we've documented what we can to the best of our ability. The invoices that I managed to print are now here at home, and I timestamped them.

Comment

C is in payroll, and is established as dishonest, petty, and a bully? PLEASE scrutinize your pay stubs VERY thoroughly.
            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
              C is in payroll, and is established as dishonest, petty, and a bully? PLEASE scrutinize your pay stubs VERY thoroughly.
              OMG this ^^^^

I went through similar earlier this year with the spa manager doing payroll and seemingly singling out me to screw around with my pay. In my case it backfired on her because now I'm doing the payroll for the spa and accommodations side of the business. Sometimes it helps to work for a small business. Keep an eye on your paystubs, and if there is anything at all messed up on them go above C's head.

Comment

I've been keeping track of my own hours ever since C's botched transfer attempt.

The same glitch happened again this week with a Monday evening order (interestingly, the same customer as last time). Of course DM emailed me about it on my day off so I didn't even get the email until Wednesday--if he thinks that I'm interested in or obligated to install the work email client on my personal phone he should think again. I didn't even bother replying this time as according to him stuff like this falls on a member of Admin (salaried management) which I am not. I checked with all the managers in the building and the order was completed properly; the same system errors happened. I was however able to pull up the OOS tracking for Monday, which indicates that the order was shopped and processed properly (then why can't we pull up the original invoice?).

Today we get an email that they are moving online pickup to a completely new system by August...that's nice, but I want to know what was causing these problems in the first place. I have a feeling that rather than actually fixing things they just decided to port everyone to new software. Who knows, maybe it was insecure and Google did kick them off of Chrome?

Another part of me wonders if something wasn't left behind by whatever--or whoever--crashed the system previously. All indications pointed to that being a result of some sort of attack on the server, the glitches started right after that and had gotten gradually more pervasive; the most common issue was getting logged out of an active session.

Comment

If this "glitch" is resulting in the shopper not being charged somehow for goods received, I would definitely look at what they're buying to try and assess if it's either 1: related to some strange quirk of their order, or 2: a strangely valuable collection of items both times that don't fit a "regular" shop. The former might help explain what kind of bug it is, the latter might push the diagnosis towards something linked to the hacking.
                  This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                  I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Something similar happened last week under the new system. I had shopped two sections of an order before I left; for some reason nobody could log in to shop the third. What I had been able to shop and stage did get picked up, but since the entire order was still showing as "In Progress" it could not be invoiced (the glitch was figured out and fixed within an hour after I left, but nobody actually shopped the outstanding section).

So I had to spend 10 minutes on the phone with Billing two days after this actually happened (it happened on a Monday, I was off the next day and walked into the mess on Wednesday) to try to figure out how much the customer actually owed so they could be charged for what they did get. Billing couldn't figure out what happened either. I never heard from DM about this one, so the manager must have told him that none of it had anything to do with me (it's sometimes expected for a shopper to not be able to finish an order; that's why the labels print in discrete zoned batches, so more than one person can shop).

Comment

Working...
                    X