Big Dick's Bait Shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Dick's Bait Shop

A local “businessperson” came in to visit with me today. To rant at me, really. She’s the owner of “Dick’s Headshop” which now also has a sign outside that says “Big Dick’s Bait Shop.” It seems the city sent letters to some of the local businesses (our bank didn’t get one) about signage. The city wants to change the local law so that any business that wants to add, remove, change, or maintain a sign needs to get a permit for a city. Even though it was obvious that the “add” part was specifically targeting her business, she focused more on the “maintain” part in her rant.

“What if a piece of your sign falls off? This says you’ll have to get a permit to fix it! If ‘Tom’ [the schmuck down the street whose business has been closed since early in the pandemic] needs to wash his awning and it falls apart, he’s going to need to get a permit before he can fix it!”

Meanwhile, I was giving noncommittal nods and “mhmms.” I tried not to agree with her, but also tried not to extend the rant so she would leave my office.

She flipped over the letter and showed me three signatures on the back. “All these people agree with me! We’re going to the next city council meeting because this isn’t right! This language needs to be changed!”

Mhmm. She’s just mad because nobody on the city council and practically none of the local business owners want signs saying “DICK’s HEADShop” and “Big Dicks’s Bait Shop” right on the corner on the main thoroughfare through town.

This is also the woman who bought a cooler and started selling milk so that she could stay open when only essential businesses were supposed to be open during the pandemic. I assume she’s using that cooler to store bait now.

She was trying to convince me that I should attend the meeting, too, to join her rant about signage. I think the bank will be fine even if we have to get a permit to change or add signs outside the bank. Eventually, she left, but I saw her later standing on the sidewalk on her phone, presumably trying to convince someone else that this legislation is a bad thing for local businesses.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Dare one ask what service or products 'Dick's Head Shop' provides?
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

...Twigs and berries?
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

A head shop.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Pole smoking?
          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Why is she complaining to you? You have nothing to do with signs in front of her store. (I know, I'm being logical.)

Comment

I think that's the problem, Sparky. Logic. Sounds like she may have been sampling her wares.
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I'm wondering if the same people own Big Dick's Halfway Inn.

Click image for larger version  Name:	qiand6rmkpy01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	89.8 KB ID:	2074930
                Last edited by catcul; 05-30-2022, 01:20 AM.
                This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

Kit-Ginevra : Maybe it's a cultural difference? In the US, a headshop is a place to buy barely legal drug paraphernalia like bongs, pipes, etc. This one has attempted to diversify somewhat, either because they weren't making enough selling pipes and fake drugs or to give them an air of legitimacy. In addition to milk and bait, they also sell wood carvings by a local artist, hand-knit bags, etc.

Sparklyturtle: She seemed to want me to sign the back of the letter to say I supported her views, so she could take that to the city council. It was extra weird, though, since she didn't have a petition or statement or anything. Just here's a few people who signed this piece of paper - you should sign it, too.
                  "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                  -Mira Furlan

Comment

Ghel Ah I can guarantee that over here if you were offered money for head, drug paraphenalia is not what you would receive.....
                    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

We definitely do have headshops though. You can get anything and everything for your ... chemical recreational needs, except the actual chemicals.
                      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                        ....if you were offered money for head ....
                        Here, a Head Shop is a place that "Heads" shop at. Pot-heads, primarily. "Head" used to be a nickname for people who smoked pot.

There's even a quip at the end of a song, "They're Coming To Take Me Away, Haa-haa".

"Hey, buddy!"
                        "Yes, officer?"
                        "Are you a head?"
                        "No, but I'm catching up!"
                        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                          Ghel Ah I can guarantee that over here if you were offered money for head, drug paraphenalia is not what you would receive.....
                          That kind of head is also available in the US.
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                          X