Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things at work may be in the process of imploding...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things at work may be in the process of imploding...

So, I work for an accommodations group that includes a spa, hotel, and B&B, and since January it's just been turning into a complete shit show. The big boss hasn't a clue what she is doing and it's showing now that we don't have a buffer between her and us anymore. There are several of us who are actively looking for something else and the consensus is that as soon we've got something new we're gone. Notice? What notice? I think I may be the only one who is even considering providing any sort of notice and even then it's not a priority for me if a new employer wants me to start right away.

The only people who seem to want to stay are those who have been here for a long time. It's very much 'the devil you know vs the devil you don't', and it's sad as hell to watch these people continually make excuses for how shitty things are going. Especially when they could be making more per hour while doing less than they do now. And not having to put up with insubordination from employees who report to them. And without getting more and more work piled upon them until they break - work that is usually way outside of the position they were hired for or the position they have slowly moved their way up to. For example, I had originally applied for a p/t café position and got hired for that as well as hotel guest services agent and over the 2.5 years I've been here I've moved up the ranks and am now an assistant GM...I've been helping in the café 1-2 times a week because we don't have anybody else, and I found out yesterday that they haven't bothered hiring anybody for those days despite the big boss telling me that they'd had a person lined up only for that person to decide they didn't want to work for us...and after everything that has been going on I'm pretty sure she was spinning lies just to keep me working in the café.

We're just all getting burnt out with all the added responsibilities that keep getting piled on us and then getting in shit for not being able to complete everything that's been piled on us. Like, how about hire more staff instead of making us take on more and more all the time. And I don't think it will take much more for some of the long-term staff to finally throw in the towel on this place.

The big boss keeps saying it's a budget thing, that there's not enough money to hire/train new staff, blah blah blah, but she forgets that I see what money comes in and I know how much goes out...the owner is making money hand over fist and it being a cheap arsehole. Ugh.

So how are the interviews going, Kuari?
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

A bigger mess than quicksand mixed with molasses.
      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

The one I had on Monday went well, but not well enough that I was moved onto the next round. But such is life. I'm continually on the various job search sites and putting out resumes and cover letters. I wish that I didn't have to work around my work schedule for interviews, but such is life sometimes, especially when you're trying to avoid a break in employment. I've also put out feelers with all my other tourism industry friends for job leads so my fingers are crossed that I can get out of here sooner rather than later!

I've also let the outgoing staff know that they can use me as a direct reference rather than them taking the risk and putting down the Big Boss. Legally she isn't supposed to do more than confirm that a person worked here and whether or not they're rehire-able, but with her track record I wouldn't put it past her to give a bad reference just for the sake of being petty.

Comment

Working...
        X