Nobody wants to stay at my store

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nobody wants to stay at my store

This is a continuation of my post from May when the great exodus of people started. Basically, the store manager and our entire pharmacy staff quit. And it's been a shit show since. It took 6 months but our pharmacy is back to full hours. Doesn't mean it's fully staffed but we have two pharmacists to work. Our soon to be former Assistant Manager spent of of his time working the pharmacy or working at another store that needed help. Instead of training for a store manager position which is what he should of been doing. So what happens to him now? PLOT TWIST he's getting the store manager position of the former store of my current manager. No idea what happened there but that store is in a very high theft area. And it's not even that far from were I am. We get hit by theft, too because of course.

Now we get to the real exciting news! One of our shift leads (new store manager brought her from his store) is leaving in the spring because she's moving to help out family and it's on the other side of the state. But as they say on late night infomercials THAT'S NOT ALL! Last month store manager says that "he's discovered that he has enough money to retire". I believe him but I don't believe that he just figured that out. I think he knew how much money he really had. What this means is that almost a year since he took over my store he's getting out. Can't say I blame him. Since he took over it's been a nightmare mostly due to staff shortages and corporate bullshit. I also can't say that I'll miss him either.

As for the actual state of the store, almost everyone on the front end who's been there through all this are ready to walk out.

The store looks like trash, stock is on the floor because nobody can put it out. We had boxes of stuffed animals on the floor for a week unopened because nobody got to it. We're so far behind on resets because there's always something else that has to be done. I'll come into work and get told by two different things to do by two different people and get asked by a third what I'm working on and still have no idea what's going on. Let's not even mention the push for credit cards. But I will. The corporate demons have given us an big incentive of THREE WHOLE DOLLARS per sign up whether the person gets accepted or not. Of course, this is all on the shoulders of the front end staff. Management doesn't count in the signups. I have two coworkers that actively ask. The rest of us do only when the register prompts. Probably my one proud moment is that I haven't had one signup for this stupid card. Even by accident. About the only thing I've heard that is worse is from a worker from the farmer store next to us that also has a credit card. He said that everyone even people working on the floor has to mention the credit card to the customers. Yeah, that sucks.

The thought of walking out with nothing to back it up is so tempting. I would probably be okay for a month or two. And maybe get a bit of my sanity back. But...I just don't know if I could do it.
    I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Your store sounds like someone's authorized the self-destruct sequence.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Your store wouldn't happen to be Grumbels, would it? (See also http://retailcomics.com/ )
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Ha! Sometimes it feels like it but as far as I know we're not going out of business.

Comment

Quoth Trixie View Post
          ...as far as I know we're not going out of business.
          You may want to check on that, Trixie. Track the store's (or its parent company's) stock on your favorite finance site.

I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

So to my uneducated eyes it seems we're doing okay. Not as good as 5 years ago but we're still making billions. But listening to the gossip from other employees it does seem as if there's been tons of people jumping ship. Probably all long term employees. But even if things get worse, it'll probably be a slow death. Unless Elon Musk buys us up.

Comment

Quoth Trixie View Post
              if things get worse, it'll probably be a slow death. Unless Elon Musk buys us up.
              In that event it will likely be a swift death. Or at least a swift loss of a job -_-

Comment

If I were you Trixie I'd start looking for another job just to be on the safe side.

Comment

Quoth Kittykat View Post
                  If I were you Trixie I'd start looking for another job just to be on the safe side.
                  For sure. It's certainly not going to get better and from what I'm hearing it's going to get worse after the holidays. I'm going to take some PTO after the holidays and figure out what to do next.

Comment

Yeah, a lot of this sounds similar to the Clearance Swamp before the bankruptcy announcement- stock left lying around, accelerated staff turnover, pressure for sales.

Although my personal favorite was the CEO of the company resigning via a tweet. Not a link to a prepared statement, just "k I gone nao byeeeee"
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Part of it in my store is that we have too much stuff and not enough people or time to get it done. And a few of us there don't really care and just put in our time for the shift. I would not be surprised if one of use just says "Fuck it!" and just walked out. I would not be surprised if it was me.

Comment

Working...
                      X