Geolocation amusement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geolocation amusement

With the new year, my workplace started using a new system for clocking in and out using a secure website. Part of our punches is that the website will record our location where we supposedly are when we punch in and out. It shows the coordinates on the screen, and it's actually a link to Google Maps to show where that location is. Our ISP does a terrible job of knowing where we're located, so I was curious. I clicked the link. It thinks we're in southern Kansas, about 800 miles from where we actually are.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Quoth Ghel View Post
    With the new year, my workplace started using a new system for clocking in and out using a secure website. Part of our punches is that the website will record our location where we supposedly are when we punch in and out. It shows the coordinates on the screen, and it's actually a link to Google Maps to show where that location is. Our ISP does a terrible job of knowing where we're located, so I was curious. I clicked the link. It thinks we're in southern Kansas, about 800 miles from where we actually are.
    Please tell me you used that information to make them pay you for travel time.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Sounds like one mailer that went out from my mega tax chain franchise. They mailers put the closest office in Memphis 500 miles away from out suburban Chicago location.
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

My last job tried this. It wouldn't let anyone clock in if they were not inside the building. problem was that they got the cheapest tablets for us to use and the GPS would show us up to a mile away. The bosses didn't believe it was the tablets so they pulled everyone into one room and told us to clock in with them watching. Almost the entire room was unable to do it.

Comment

If my work ever tries the "the system says you weren't at the building when you clocked in!" all we have to do is say "check the camera records." But our management is so anti-technology that I doubt they'll ever look at the geolocation information.
          "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
          -Mira Furlan

Comment

Working...
          X