Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friggin' snow storms throwing a wrench into everything...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friggin' snow storms throwing a wrench into everything...

It's winter in Newfoundland, and we've been getting some really nasty weather every winter for several years now. It's only been a little over three years since we had a snow storm bad enough to basically shut my city (and at least the entire Avalon peninsula) down for several days, and we know that we've been living on borrowed time until we get another nasty storm.

Well, we're on Day Two of a storm that was only predicted to last about 13 hours. Yesterday was way worse, mind you, with buses not running at all, government buildings and schools shutting down, ditto for the malls and other stores. Not gas stations though as we're considered essential - we provide gas to ambulances, taxis, etc. Knowing all this and knowing that I rely on buses to get me into work I was able to get my shift for yesterday covered by somebody who lives MUCH closer to the store than I do. I would have done the same for today if I'd known before I crawled into bed around midnight last night that the storm was going to still be on top of us this morning.

One taxi ride into work later, my bank account now has a balance of $1.53. But I'm here and I made it in early enough that the overnight CSR doesn't have to worry about when he can go home. He was a little shocked to see me so early when I stepped out of the taxi I'd called around 5:30am - my shift starts at 7am, but I know that in this weather there are not a lot of taxi drivers comfortable being out on the road. I expected a much longer wait than I had, but early is better than late or not coming in at all! Plus, we have fresh brewed coffee at work...win!

My worry now is that 1) the afternoon CSR won't be able to make it in due to the weather, and/or 2) the buses will still be off the road when I get off work. One bonus is that my daughter lives near where I work so I can go there for the night if I have to, thankfully. And I made sure that my cat has plenty of food and water to get through at least two days if I can't get home tomorrow. Stupid storm -_-
Working...
X