Hurrah! A customer listened to me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurrah! A customer listened to me!

I'm a grocery store cashier. A few months ago, Canada banned plastic bags (and people are still moaning about it ) and it's not unusual for people to forget to bring in their own bags (during COVID, you couldn't bring in your own bags). If people want to buy bags AND have a lot of groceries, I try to persuade them to buy a green bin. They are $7 but are well-built and can carry a lot. But noooooo ... most customers say "Nah, I'll take those bags."
    "Those bags" are roughly the size of the plastic bags we used to have; they are 35 cents each or 3 for $1. If you have a few hundred dollars' worth of groceries, you are easily looking at buying 6 or 9 or even more of these basic bags. Maybe they can leave them to someone in their wills ... ?

Today I was ringing up a woman and (I guess) her son, and they had $500+ worth of groceries (turns out this was one son among three ). I asked if they needed to buy bags.
    Customer: "Depends on whether my husband gets here with ours!"

Spoiler alert: he didn't. (She had called or texted him.)

I asked if she wanted the bins, given the amount of groceries she had.

She ended up buying FOUR. She also needed a few of the smaller bags, which I didn't charge her for (Dear Ginormous Corporate Grocery Store: Suck it up, buttercup!)

She said she'd leave the bins in her truck. Here's hoping nobody in the family steals them to use for other things.

The flip side of this is the guy who didn't want to pay for bags, but was hinting that I should put all his stuff in produce bags (we don't charge for those). Granted, he didn't have much, but still ... no. Buy a damn bag or three and bring them with you.

And I quickly lost track of the number of customers who "only came in for one thing!" and thus didn't bring any bags in ... and ended up walking out with 8 or 10 or a dozen items. Some bought bags; others opted to juggle their purchases out to their vehicles.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Quoth Pixelated View Post
    And I quickly lost track of the number of customers who "only came in for one thing!" and thus didn't bring any bags in ... and ended up walking out with 8 or 10 or a dozen items. Some bought bags; others opted to juggle their purchases out to their vehicles.
    I'm pretty sure I'm not one of your customers (I live in California), but I do this fairly frequently. My usual response is to either buy necessary bag(s) or roll the cart out to my car, where the bags that managed to make it back out there after previous shopping trips will be waiting for use.

"Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Working...
    X