Legal Cannabis and Banking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal Cannabis and Banking

Recreational Cannabis was legalized here in Minnesota beginning yesterday. I don't want to get into the politics of that, just how it affects banks, like my workplace.

Luckily, I guess, we have around a year to work that out, since that's how long the process for the state to license dispensaries is expected to take. (The only dispensary currently selling legally is on Red Lake Nation land, though the news suggests other tribes may be added to that list soon.) My branch manager brought it up in a meeting yesterday. He's concerned about how to handle accounts for businesses that sell cannabis-related products. Since we're a federally-regulated bank, and marijuana is still illegal federally, we're not sure how regulators are going to view it if we open a checking account for a dispensary, for example.

If marijuana were still illegal and we suspected a customer was selling it, we would be required to file a Suspicious Activity Report. But if it's legal here, and a customer is openly selling it (like, not trying to hide it), do we still need to file a SAR? It's still illegal federally, so I think a lot of people would say yes. But the feds aren't going to want a bunch of SARs filed that they aren't going to follow up on, since the feds have said they won't pursue charges against people who possess or sell marijuana in states that have legalized it.

We've already run into this a bit, with the legalization of THC edibles and drinks. A couple of our customers are selling those products in addition to their regular wares. So far, we have just been ignoring that and taking deposits as if they were part of the customer's normal business. But what are we going to do if a dispensary wants to open up in town and open a checking account with us? I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

"I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

And that, allegedly, is why the executives make the Big Bucks. To make those kinds of hard decisions.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

That "allegedly" is doing a lot of work there. Our main branch is in another state (one without legal weed), and they often forget that the laws are different in our state. Often vastly different. We have to remind upper management that we're in a much more liberal state, and even then, they frequently don't do anything until an easily foreseen circumstance happens. It's super frustrating.
      "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
      -Mira Furlan

Comment

Fill out the SAR and let the Feds deal with it.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

That seems reasonable to me, but SARs have to be approved by management, who likely won't do it. They didn't even want to file SARs when our local headshop was bringing in huge deposits of cash (though not quite enough to file a CTR, which may have been structuring, too). They said they had no reason to believe they were actually doing anything illegal. Really. At the sketchy as hell headshop. Our head teller tried to argue it, but got nowhere.
          -Mira Furlan

Comment

Speak with your most intelligent/reasonable member of management and ask them about putting together a letter to the company's legal department about this. It might encourage them to go along with it if a) you volunteer to write it and let them add stuff, b) have them put their name on it as the "author," and c) that this would help to prevent serious legal liability for the bank. Make sure the info request specifically calls out your own state specifically. You want an official policy response in writing.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
              That seems reasonable to me, but SARs have to be approved by management, who likely won't do it.
              As I understand the law, only the top dogs will be given the matching chrome bracelets. Fill out the form and let manglement reject it.

Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
              Save the Ales!
              Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

It has been legal in AZ for several years. Due to MJ still being a federal crime, none of the dispensaries here (or CA or Nevada) take plastic, it is cash only. Last year they were able to bring ATMs in so people can get cash to buy their weed, I have used these machines in the past and the transactions don't say they were done at the dispensary, they say the address only.

Comment

Working...
                X