1099-K (USAian taxes)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1099-K (USAian taxes)

This conversation happened at work, but it’s not really work related. Other than, I guess my boss feels comfortable complaining at me about the IRS.

Branch Manager printed out an article to share with me warning readers that if they sell household goods online, and the gross amount of sales (in aggregate for the year, if I’m reading it correctly) is $600 or more, the online marketplace is required to report that to the IRS and send you tax form 1099-K. As the article points out, this is a way for the IRS to learn about people running small businesses but not reporting that income on their taxes.

BM, however, is complaining because he has a “hobby” (I would call it a side hustle, but not to his face) of buying used ATVs, snowmobiles, etc., fixing them up and reselling them. He sometimes sells them on sites like FB Marketplace, which is one of the sites the article lists as being required to report such sales. If I understand it, he should be reporting those sales as capital gains, and he should be taxed on that income. But so far, he’s gotten away with not reporting it. Granted, also, that the income from these sales is only a few hundred dollars each, and he does only a few a year. He described one sale several years ago that he made $600 on, so it sounds like that’s the biggest sale he’s had. I’m not sure why he’s so agitated by this news.

It was super awkward sitting across from him and trying to say “capital gains tax” and “I’m sure this is just another way for the IRS to try to prevent people from cheating on their taxes.” It might be a bit more work for some folks to show that they sold things at a loss, which was another argument BM was trying to make. But the ones they’re really looking for are people who are making a living from sales on Etsy and not reporting any of that income.

i ended up giving a bunch of non-committal answers and getting out of there as quickly as I could. It’s not really a conversation I want to have with my boss.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

One of the big issues, as I see it, is that some people can easily make $600 or more selling one item online. I mean, look on eBay at the prices of some things. Some people might sell one thing for $1,200, and that gets reported to the IRS, when they were just trying to get rid of something that they didn't need/want anymore.

Even in the trading card market. There are "graded" cards that sometimes go for several hundred to in the low thousands of dollars.

And really, nobody's "making a living" on $600+ in sales from eBay or other online retailers. Some probably are making a living selling online, but those people are probably selling tens of thousands of dollars of product every year.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

If he's putting money into them, then he's unlikely to be making a profit or much of one even if the gross sale is $600, and if he's only doing a handful a year then he's unlikely to get much interest. But there's plenty of folks who'll buy a junker going cheap for parts, then relist it the same day on the same service for two or three times that as a "beloved classic in need of restoration" - we see it a lot in the communities I'm in for vintage and classic autos, the new sellers rarely make anything from us but there's often someone who'll see their advert 'cause they use better SEO, as opposed to seeing the original, much cheaper sale. Those are the folks that need to get nailed with this!
      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Hmm… I discarded the article, but I recall that the big thing people were complaining about was dropping the threshold for reporting from $20,000 to $600. Where that threshold should be can be argued over (probably not here, though), and I agree with you both that $600 in a year is not a living.

I’m not sure why BM shared this article with me, other than he likes to complain. I hope he didn’t expect me to sympathize with him maybe having to pay more taxes due to his hobby.
        "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
        -Mira Furlan

Comment

Working...
        X