Irritated at work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irritated at work

I am irritated at work, and I need advice.

I have been the closer at the fuel center I currently work at for a while.

I only open once in a while.

One of the job responsibilities for the opener is to replenish products that are sold on a daily basis.

The replenishment must be done 7 days a week.

The manager over the fuel center has to order the products we need, but she does not.

So what ends up happening is that several items on the replenishment list cannot be found.

A hand held scanner is used to scan the items needed according to the replenishment list. The hand held scanner brings up the replenishment list.

For any items not found, you have to press the trash can icon next to the item.

There were 4 of us working here, but one quit recently.

Now there is only an opener and a closer 7 days a week.

I mentioned to the fuel center clerk who trained me that the manager over the fuel center has me closing a lot.

That clerk told me he has noticed that the manager over the fuel center chooses who opens based on the number of “items not found” during replenishment.

The less items not found, the more days you open.

That makes me mad.

How do I deal with this knowing that?

Sell more stuff so there's more gaps in the mornings? If stuff isn't ordered and isn't being replenished properly, eventually someone else with some clout is going to hear about it and wonder why that manager has 1: not ordered more stuff, and 2: been rewarding people who've lied about putting the non-existent stock out.
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

It really sounds like RU's #2 is what they are assuming -- i.e., "We're not running out of items to stock – the openers are just lazy."
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
        It really sounds like RU's #2 is what they are assuming -- i.e., "We're not running out of items to stock – the openers are just lazy."
        My husband works mornings, and he has been wanting me to work a combination of mornings and mid shift.

But since there are only 3 of us, there is not mid shift.

I am getting frustrated at working the closing shift.

I want to work mornings, but I am rarely scheduled for them.

How do I deal with my frustrations?

The store manager will not let me transfer to another department since we are short staffed, but I really want a morning shift instead of closing.

Comment

Get your resume in order and start applying. If you can't get any satisfaction from the current manager, it's time to move on - and what better than leaving them even more short-handed in the process? Maybe then someone will finally pay attention to the issues and consider fixing them, but it sounds like you're not being given a chance at improvement here so you might as well go out in a blaze of chaos.
          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Perhaps both of you should consider doing just that -- update your resumes, look elsewhere, but don't quit or give them any indication that you may do so until the new job(s) are 100% secure. If they're not hiring new people at this time of year (Black Friday is coming up fast), they're likely not planning to. I fear that this situation is NOT going to improve.

In the meantime, if he'd allow you to work mornings at all, it would mean swapping shifts with the opener -- i.e., your hubby, which may not improve things overall.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post

In the meantime, if he'd allow you to work mornings at all, it would mean swapping shifts with the opener -- i.e., your hubby, which may not improve things overall.
              Oops... My husband works for a different company.

He works the morning shift.

Which is why he wants me working mornings and mid shift.

Comment

Where can I look online for a full time job working mornings?

Comment

^_^ Just leave off the second half, then.

As for seeking - I've been out of the market for too long to really be of help, beyond saying to target places that are open early in the morning. Jobs such as stocking at grocery stores tend to start early in the AM, but I dunno if any would have enough work to be full-time; retail places in general prefer to avoid letting people get too close to 40 hours if they're not on salary.

Comment

More information I would like to add to this post

The intercom inside the fuel center kiosk works when it wants to

There are times when it goes offline

There are times when the sound fades in and out

This has been an issue since I started working there in 2020

That issue has been reported several times, yet the issue continues

Starting this year my employer stated using mystery shoppers for the fuel center as well as for the grocery store

Management counsels employees who do not use the script they are given, which is hello and thank you *no other greetings are allowed becasue if you use them, it is counted against you*

Apparently a mystery shopper came to the fuel center one afternoon I was working there when there were issues with the intercom inside the fuel center kiosk

The intercom went offline several times that specifc day as well as the sound faded in and out

I was counseled by one of the assistant managers who told me I did not thank the mystery shopper

I explained the ongoing issues with the intercom to that assistant manager

I also found out from a co-worker of mine whose husband used to work at another fuel center location that our employer staffs that he had the same issues I am having with the intercom

He no longer works for our employer
                    Last edited by snugglegirl05; 11-13-2023, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Perhaps that intercom should somehow completely fail to work?
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                      X